This article explains how to use Microsoft ADO to add and update unicode code points stored in an Oracle UTF8 database.
- From Unicode.html the user enters a Unicode code point like ! and it's unicode value U0021 and presses submit.
- The data transaction occurs in submit_to_database.asp
- The data is retrieved using database_results.asp
Important concepts to know about Unicode
- The Unicode Standard specifies a numeric value and a name for each of its characters.
- Unicode encodes characters not glyphs (shapes of the character). Multiple glyphs can be assigned to a single character.
- Unicode is an industrial standard for character presentation.
- The Unicode Standard provides international exchange of data. Unicode can by stored in a UTF-8 database. UTF-8 is a common encoding schema for exchanging information in HTML and other character file structures.
- The Unicode Standard provides a standardized character-set, greater exchange of information, and reduction in development costs