We've been talking about having a day-long meetup for a while folks, and this is it.
Saturday the 15th May will be a day of both casual meeting, talking and sharing, as well as specific presentations on a variety of Kohana-related topics. Some of the core devs will be there, including Woody (Shadowhand) and Sam (Samsoir), as well as a variety of faces and lurkers from the forums.
To give you our initial plans of how the day will pan out:
- We'd like to start at 11 to give everyone enough time to get there
- We can break for lunch in the early afternoon for an hour or so
- We'll carry on till hopefully 6 or so where we can either wrap it up, carry on if people want, or have dinner and drinks seeing as these opportunities don't come up too often
Regarding the format of the day, we'd like to mix specific talks with breaks for chat, so it's not too relentless, but whatever happens it's going to be a fairly intimate affair I would say with no more than about 30 people, so hopefully the vibe will be pretty relaxed. I'll make it a priority that everyone get acquainted too so we have a more "involved" feel to proceedings.
The following concrete ideas for talks are on the table right now:
- Woody will talk about the v3.0 API, the reasoning behind it, and how best to leverage it for your own applications
- Banks may present the new Jelly ORM and the splash it seems to be making at the moment
- Leo may run us through his experiences of deploying Kohana on a large scale e-commerce application
- Rob from Mukuru would like to run us through the largest known e-commerce website built using Kohana
- I may give a quick run though my front end modules of Kohana 2 (if there's enough interest)
At the moment, talks are not finalised, so if you have a Kohana, PHP, creative or industry-related subject that you feel would benefit everyone by sharing with them, send me a message and we can discuss it further to see how it would fit into the bill.
Regarding all talks, it would be useful to have a mix of both presentation and workshop style items, so bear that in mind when you are dreaming up your piece, and let me know so I can structure the day properly :)
Finally, we are waiting to choose a venue once we have a proper idea of numbers, but it will be somewhere in London.
Really, this is a day for all of us to muck in and get something out, so don't be shy!
Looking forward to it,
Cheers for now,