Real world software development methodologies

software-development , methodologies , real-world Liverpool, United Kingdom
  • 10 years ago

As a university student its interesting to get insight into how things work in the 'real world' i.e the development projects that happen on a day to day basis in the average software company / it dept. / etc.

Most of the universities ive come across seem to swear by UML within OOA / OOD paradigms, however from reading posts on here and elsewhere on the internet, these do not appear to be met with a great deal of enthusiasm.

Is there any particular methodology favored in modern software developement, or is it simply a case of picking elements from lots of different solutions that work best for your particular environment?

If this is the case, then what steps are taken to ensure that every project is not developed under an agile-superflexible-noconstraints kind of methodology that ends up being no kind of methodology at all?

NB: As a student just about to finish the final year of my degree, i have not yet had the opportunity to apply my learning to a real world problem. Any insight into how things really work would be very appreciated.

• 10 years ago

From my experience, alot of the work you'll come across after uni will have you wondering at first why they had you learning paradigms in the first place, however the truth is these skills are ones you will at-least end up implementing within your own scope, rather than observing in a team environment.

This all depends on which direction you head however, if you end up within a software development "team", then methodologies may very well play a key part of things, though be prepared for things sometimes to take a direction you did not expect.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“XML is like violence - if it's not working for you, you're not using enough of it.”