My first software development project

C , C pp , job experience , software development Edinburgh, United Kingdom
  • 10 years ago

Hello all!!

First of I just want to say that this is a great site. I am just looking for some advice I have just started studying for my degree in software development. I have been reading a lot of books on software development and they all say the wau to improve is to read,read and read all the programming books you can and then develop, develop and develop and then program,program and program. So I took a look at a freelance website and looked at the type of things that are on offer there was one for software that makes the process of taking reservation for hotel and restraunts easier.

I have decided to try and develop this software by myself to gain experience of course not for payment just in my free time to develop my skills.

What I 1as wondering is this a gd way to get experience with the intention of obtaining a job in software development when I leave uni?

Also I fairly skilled in programming with c and C++ as well as java and java script what language would you recommend I use?

Thanks everyone

• 10 years ago

if you wish to experience on development of end user software, i think can either go for web based application. If web based application then you can go for PHP, ASP.NET with javascript and database like MySQL or MsSQL. Put them online and play around with it.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.” - Brian Kernighan