ASP.NET (VB)

asp.net United States
  • 18 years ago

Sorry if this sounds insanely simple, but here's my problem...

I make the web app in VB.net, save it, compile it, run it.  It works on my IIS just fine, everything works.  But when I upload the files to my site, it doesn't want to show me them.  I have given the directory full script/executable permissions and everything, so I doubt it's a problem with that.  Is there a setting/property I have to set?  I have uploaded ALL of the files (and subfolders) in the solution to the directory here you may download the solution and see if you can see what the problem is, or if this is a quick fix which it sounds like it is, then cool.  

Anxiously awaiting a response,
    Matthew

PS.  If it helps, I'm using Windows XP Pro, Visual Studio.NET Pro and IIS 5.1.  And the filename of my form that SHOULD work is WebForm1

Thanks again!

• 18 years ago

well, you might want to put them in a .zip file or something,
    because all I was getting was an "Internal 500" error trying
    to access anything...

• 18 years ago

Sorry about that.  The files are now in...

http://www.pocketelite.com/mmt/vb/aspx/test/test.zip

Thanks

• 18 years ago

Well... to start with, I suggest you follow the instructions on the error page so that you can actually see the detailed error message. (and if you're just getting a 500 error message, then you need to turn of friendly errors in IE).

• 18 years ago

hi james,

no -- it was a server/internal error (i.e., running bad
    cgi programs on your server)... p.s., are you aware
    that this page/forum does not work in Netscape?
    It appears to be some of the tags used for this textbox
    (where you write responses/replies, etc...) would it be
    possible to add the netscape support?

thx!

• 18 years ago

urmm. yeah. it works in the latest version of netscape sorry.....

and regarding the error, i get

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error
    Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
       <system.web>
           <customErrors mode="Off"/>
       </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
       <system.web>
           <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
       </system.web>
    </configuration>

• 18 years ago

hi,

ok, don't know about the newest netscape browser, but
    just tried (again) an older version, and no, it doesn't work.

It's Netscape Communicator 4.75 (which is 'pretty' new,
    only about 1-2 years old). The "message" box area where
    you type stuff in, just appears as a thin 'blue' box w/no
    way to type stuff in...!

• 18 years ago

hmm! cool, re: the friendly errors...
    didn't realize MSIE automatically 'parsed'/changed the
    error messages... (other browsers don't appear to...)!

it's still a "500" error according to MSIE, but yes, once
    you turn that off, you do get (much) more detail about
    the error!

• 18 years ago

Not to be rude, but if we could stick to the topic of aspx pages and VB.NET...  I just really need a response and any recomendations.  Again, the site files are available for download at http://www.pocketelite.com/mmt/vb/aspx/test/test.zip but listen, to sum up my question...

When you all make an aspx page and it's all great, you save it, then you upload it, then what?  What makes it so that you can run the aspx file on the http://www.whatever.com?  This whole developerfusion website is in aspx if I'm not mistaken, and I just want to know what I need to do something like that.  Do I need to have physical access to the server I'm uploading to?  Are there properties you set on the page before you upload it?  Do you have to change the web.config file settings?  Please any info would be great!

PS.  You can forget my sample if you want, as long as somebody has upload rights to a website and vb.net, i just want to know how you get your asp.net files (and which ones) onto the server and get them working (i know how to upload, just what else needs to be done?)

Also...  If anyone knows how to do a messagebox.show / msgbox  that's another easy thing thing I'm wondering about.

Thanks again ppl...

• 18 years ago

Hey people is me, the original poster of this topic thing.  Here's the deal

I called the place that hosts my site (www.pocketelite.com which is obviously not off the ground yet) and they updated some IIS stuff and enabled (yes enabled ) ASP.NET on my site.  Okay yeah I know, I'm stupid and I should have done that first, but here's the deal, I get a different error message now.  So if anybody has any input on this, pplllleeeeaassee let me know.  What do i have to change in the Global.asax & Web.Config files in order to have my pages work remotely on a server???

Here's the Exact error message that I now get...

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.
    Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested Url: /mmt/vb/aspx/test/WebForm1.aspx

(that it for the error)

So i know the error sounds self explanatory but, the file is THERE!  Thanks for putting up with my ignorance

-Matthew

• 18 years ago

It works!!!

Sorry about all that, but it works, I called the people again (after enabling asp.net on my site) and they said i have to re-create each directory in order to have the asp.net enabled.  crazy and cool at the same time.  So sorry everybody for the dead link, but I will be deleting the test files that I gave in all the links above.

Again, the links to the above files are non-existant.

Thanks for your help and cya around everybody!

Matthew Taylor
    www.pocketelite.com (future site for all of this aspx stuff )

• 18 years ago

ha ha, lol, yep, that could do it.

good to hear you got it working!
    what are you working on anyways (didnt get a round 'tuit',
    to downloading the .zip file...)

cheersssss!

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Walking on water and developing software from a specification are easy if both are frozen.” - Edward V Berard