Java Applet security

asp , java United States
  • 18 years ago

Dear helper,

I am in the process of taking over a project and got some problem. The project is written in ASP and downloads some java applet to client. Java applet is zipped in a JAR file and has been digital signed. With the original JAR file, I can download and execute applet without problem. I tried to make some change to the applet and I didn't have the resources to digital sign the new JAR file. I got a "java class not found" message on my broswer with the unsigned JAR file. I have changed browser (IE) setting to allow unsigned JAVA content to be run but seems it doesn't work.

Could anybody tell me what could be wrong ? Is it possible, certain type of applet has to be signed ?

Thanks in advance,

John

• 18 years ago

Curious...

How did you make 'changes' to the applet file if
    it was in a .jar file...? What is it you are trying to
    change in the applet?

• 18 years ago

I have java class source code. Actually I haven't made any change yet but just want to make sure my procedure is correct. I compiled source code and use "jar" utility to re-generate .jar file. Since I don't have the access to digital signature, I cannot sign the .jar file. I can see .jar file is downloaded from the server but somehow the java class inside it doesn't run.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Before software should be reusable, it should be usable.” - Ralph Johnson