Converting a String to Integer [C#]

csharp United States
  • 9 years ago

Given a DropDownList box [ddlHour] and a DateTime variable [dtSelected].
    I want to update the hour in dtSelected.hour with the ddlHour.SelectedValue however when I try to do the following directly:    
    dtSelected.Minute = ddlMinute.SelectedValue;

I get the following error:
    1) Cannot implicitly convert type 'string' to 'int'
    2) Property or indexer 'System.DateTime.Hour' cannot be assigned to -- it is read only

So I guess I have 2 questions; how could I convert the string returned by ddlHour.SelectedValue into an Integer so I can update the dtSelected.hour AND why am I seeing that read-only error? Am I not doing this right at all?

• 9 years ago

to convert data types, there is the Convert keyword, use like

int Value1 = 0;
    string Value2 = Convert.toString(Value1);

FOR 2 'I want to update the hour in dtSelected.hour' Can you show the code you use, thanks

• 9 years ago

1) for the type conversion, you'll need to do
    dtSelected.Minute = Convert.ToInt32(ddlMinute.SelectedValue)

2) For the problem with assignment - you'll have to create a new DateTime object - using the values from the existing DateTime object, or use the AddHours/AddMinutes etc methods, if that's appropriate.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.” - Brian Kernighan