MSAccess vs. FileMakre

databases United States
  • 12 years ago

I would like to know if I can be directed to a web site, of if any one knows the answer the the following question.

If I am using and Access DB as a back end source, can a Filemaker database also use the Access back end as it's source for users on Macs.

We are trying to achieve a cost conscience solution by haveing a group of MAC users access and interact with data that is created and housed in an Access database. The majority of the department is PC based, however the creative "manufacturing" piece of the department is MAC based.

Mac users need to record their activity for metrics reporting. Right now Mac staff are "interrupted" required to use a remote PC for their entry.

Thanks,

Greg

• 12 years ago

I don't know offhand if Filemaker can link to tables in an Access database, but I would imagine that the vendor would be more than happy to answer the question of a prospective customer.

• 12 years ago

Hi,

Access will not run on MAC's (even if you buy office for MAC you don't get Access)

However Filemaker will run on MAC's and PC's. Therefore it is better to write application in Filemaker because it will run on both or is this option too late ?

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Java is to JavaScript what Car is to Carpet.” - Chris Heilmann