Protecting ms access/xml file

• 15 years ago
    I'have made a simple application which uses a access database.
    I wonder if i can encrypte the whole database file so no one can read,or edit or copy anything
    from it. I don't believe in the password that you can built in access database because as  there are hundreds of access
    database cracker.So,i want complete encrypte of the database like .dat file instead of .mdb.

Anyway suggestions will be great.

• 15 years ago

I'm sure you could encrypt an MDB file as easily as any other.  You'd have to decrypt it to use it though.  This would mean you'd either have to decrypt when your app starts and encrypt again when your app shuts down, which means your database is vulnerable for the lifetime of your process, or you would have to decrypt and re-encrypt on the fly, which would be extremely resource-intensive.  I'd say your best bet would be to switch to a more secure database.  There are no-cost alternatives available.  MSDE offers basically the same security as SQL Server.

• 15 years ago

Thank you for the reply.

I've seen some application use .dat file  and i think thats where they keep databases as text format .
    How do you actually  manage them ..

• 15 years ago
    I'd imagine that a .dat file is just in some pre-defined binary format.  You couldn't use the standard ADO.NET methods to access them without writing much of the implemenation yourself, I wouldn't think.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it.” - Donald Knuth