TOTAL 100% begginer

• 19 years ago

Hi,,,
    Ive been learning VB for quite a while now,, and would like to move on to C++,,,

but when i load it up,, i just get lost,,,, TOTALLY,, haveing never done any Visual c before in my life,,  Could any1 recomend and websites that could help,,, i.e, something that will start this the verry basics of how to use the dam thing ???

Thanx

• 19 years ago

First off, it is NOTHING like VB.  Very little visual stuff, like playing with forms, until you use MFC.  And not much there, either.

I would suggest you spend about 2 hours a day for the next few weeks with a book like
    Sam's 'Visual C++ in 21 Days'   You are going to have to forget almost everything that VB does.  There is about 1/100 the number of functions. You write your own. There are few inherent objects, like the VB Printer object.  You have to defineyour own classes.  The IDE will build class skeletons for you.

• 19 years ago

yes thats quite right. C++(VC++) may look similar but its a whole new world for developers who are migrating from Visual Basic. There are plenty of good sites like CodeProject.com and Planet-Source-Code.com which contain masses of code for you to use. But dont just cut n' paste but try and understand what is happening. Before you do anythign like that try learning the syntax. Such things as how to interpret code the structure and the general way of writing code. You can try writing a simple Hello World app first to learn about the Print functions etc.

• 19 years ago

her eis a massive list of free material in much about C and C++

http://users.utu.fi/sisasa/oasis/oasis-cc++.html

Here is the FREE version of the Teach Your Self C++ in 21 days, online Second Edition.

http://members.tripod.com/~firstpod/cpp21/

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Every language has an optimization operator. In C++ that operator is ‘//’”