object database

• 15 years ago
    Hi guys, I am attempting to create a cutting list program for a glass and aluminium company.
    It must be easy for the operator to create new products by entering in the formulas to be used etc (with GUI)
    I was thinking of writing it in MS Access but it does not really support storing objects that well.
    each product will have different inputs and outputs

if I used MS Access, how would I store the data as each product will have a different number of properties (fields) and different properties (types)? Would I need a table for each product?

or I could just use vb6 and create my own data file like following, but it will be a lot of work programming the file handler to interpet the datafile.

[start product]
    code=1
    description="OOXXO Door Flyscreen Sliding"
    catagory1="door"    'able to search for product by catagory
    catagory2="sliding"  'able to search for product by catagory
    inputs=4
    label="Quantity",type=textbox,mask=numeric(100 to 999999),location=A1   'location in frame: letter is line
    label="Height",type=textbox,mask=numeric(100 to 999999),location=B1      'number is 1 left, 2 right
    label="Width",type=textbox,mask=numeric(100 to 999999),location=B2
    label="Colour",type=combo(otherallowed=true,white:black:beige:primrose:clear anodized:bronze anodized),location=B 'full line
    end inputs
    outputs=3     'output to frame2 and printer when required
    output1= input(1)*4 & " lengths of " & (input(2) -35)     'ie height -35
    output2= input(1)*4 & " lengths of " & = (input(3) / 4) + 20    'width divided by 4 plus 20
    output3= input(1)*2 & " push plates of length " & (input(3) / 4) - 71
    [end product]

[start product]
    code=2
    description = "blah blah"
    [end product]

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Every language has an optimization operator. In C++ that operator is ‘//’”