Calling a function within a query

access New Zealand
  • 15 years ago

Hi all,
    Description:Firstly I'm creating a search page with ASP, the user can enter up ten words in an input.
    When submitted the an entered string is split into an array, one keyword per array element.
    A loop will be created calling a stored query in MS Access in turn for each keyword. The stored query will have one parameter that will be @KEYWORD as below. The memo field is CONTENT and to start with I'm just getting the CONTENT_ID back from the query.

SELECT PARAGRAPH_ID
    FROM PARAGRAPHS
    WHERE CONTENT LIKE '* @KEYWORD *';

this works fine, but I would like to make it do more.

Question:

What I would like it to do is, for each record found be able to count how many times that keyword is in the CONTENT field. Am I able to do this within a user-defined function(not sure if MS Access has them or something similar) or the stored query itself?

For the user-defined function
    What I would do is create it, it would have the parameters @CONTENT and @KEYWORD. Iterate through it producing a count of keyword occurances, which in turn would be returned to the stored query. Thus this will give me a way to effectively search through my content and be able to rank the results.

What I'll need help with is how to call a function from a query and also how to create the function.

Example:

SELECT PARAGRAPH_ID, (CNT_KEY[CONTENT,@SEARCH_KEYWORD]) AS KEYWORD_COUNT

FROM PARAGRAPHS
    WHERE CONTENT LIKE '* ' + @SEARCH_KEYWORD + ' *';

and an example module function would be

Function CNT_KEY(CONTENT As String, KEYWORD As String)

If (Len(KEYWORD) < Len(CONTENT)) Then
    KEYWORD_COUNT = 0
    KEYWORD_POS = 1
    START_POS = 0
    While (KEYWORD_POS > 0)
    KEYWORD_POS = InStr(START_POS, CONTENT, KEYWORD)
    If (OCCURANCE > 0) Then
    KEYWORD_COUNT = KEYWORD_COUNT + 1
    START_POS = KEYWORD_POS + (Len(KEYWORD) - 1)
    End If
    Wend
    COUNT_KEYWORD = KEYWORD_COUNT

Else
    COUNT_KEYWORD = 0

End If
    End Function

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.” - Edsger Dijkstra