Creating an RSS feed for Lectures

• 15 years ago

Hi,

My project is to create an RSS Feed for lecturers. However it is not your average news feed, where subscribers get sent news from various websites. This is a kind of MSN Messenger orientated, whereby Lecturers are able to view the collegues status when they are logged into the system. Eg.Be Back In 5 etc. The idea is to update the status of the lecturer when changed so another lecturer can view. Hence NEWS FEED.

I have been told this is easy, but I am having trouble where to start. I am a novice in programming languages so be patient with me..!!

I understand that I need to have a database for the login and register part, so asp is involved. Various sources have expressed that XML is involved, since the use of RSS is being used. However grasping the concept of updating news, and feeding it to other sources at any given time bugs me. A database comes to mind...maybe.

PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE can someone point me in the right direction..It will be most appreciated

• 15 years ago
    You can use something like http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/show/4597/ to help you generate the RSS feed itself (and there's code at the bottom showing usage). Then all you'll want to do is instead of generating a fixed set of RSS items, you'll want to fetch the items you want to display from the database (just google ADO.NET for tutorials), and use the results from that to generate the RSS as before...

Exclamation [:)]

• 15 years ago

Thanks James,
    It's work very well and this is what i wanted.
    Regards

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than in practice.”