Reading Excel with VB2005

• 14 years ago

I'm starting to convert some of my current VB6 projects to .NET and wanted to know if anyone had an example or a good web link to how VB2005 connects to Excel files.  In VB6 I used a objects.  Is there a better way in .net?  My VB6 code is below.

Private Sub ReadXLSFileFormat(FileName As String)

Dim ObjInputXLS As Object
        Dim ObjInputWorkBook As Object
        Dim ObjInputSheet As Object
        Dim x As Integer

Set ObjInputXLS = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
        Set ObjInputWorkBook = ObjInputXLS.Workbooks.Open(FileName)
        Set ObjInputSheet = ObjInputWorkBook.Worksheets(1)

'Some code here

ObjInputXLS.ActiveWorkbook.Close True, FileName
        Set ObjInputSheet = Nothing
        Set ObjInputWorkBook = Nothing
        Set ObjInputXLS = Nothing

End Sub

• 14 years ago

I am strapped for time to convert it myself, but if you are up for a little C# to Visual Basic.net. you will find some C# that might help you over here:

http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/forums/thread/133997/

HTH

• 14 years ago

Thanks for the reply, though I could not convert your code without errors.  I did get this code below to run, but it has a very strange problem.  It will only work if I do not save the project.  Once I save the project, I get an error:

"Request for the permission of type 'System.Data.OleDb.OleDbPermission....' failed"

If I copy and paste the entire code into a new project, it works again!  This is the most bizarre bug I have seen in awhile. 

// EDIT
    Found a setting in .NET Framework where you can increase trust level of 'Local Intranet'.  This needed to be done since the excel file resided on a networked drive.
    // End EDIT

Dim sqlConnection As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection
    Dim sqlDataAdapter As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter("SELECT * FROM [JOBS$]", sqlConnection)
    Dim sqlDataSet As DataSet = New DataSet
    Dim sqlDataRow As DataRow

sqlConnection.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=F:\Brian\WIP\BrianWIPLIST.xls;Extended Properties=""Excel 8.0;HDR=Yes;IMEX=1"""
    sqlDataAdapter.Fill(sqlDataSet)

For Each sqlDataRow In sqlDataSet.Tables(0).Rows
        If IsNumeric(sqlDataRow("JOB #")) Then MsgBox(sqlDataRow("JOB #"))
    Next

sqlConnection.Close()

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.”