Hide a program from the Task Manager process list?

• 8 years ago

Hello everyone.

I would like to know if it's possible in any way to hide a program from the process list, in Windows XP. I have so far tried with the following commands:

App.Title = vbNullString
    App.TaskVisible = False

However, the process still shows up under 'processes'.

Any clue?

;)

• 8 years ago

Mathy,

I have no idea, but just out of curiousity, why would you want to do that ?

• 8 years ago

I am making a keylogger.

• 8 years ago

Mathy,

I don't think this is possible - after all, yearts of virus- and spyware-makers haven't managed it yet. If it was, it would be very dangerous - exactly because of the type of thing you are trying to do!! You would be better off trying to disguise the process as a ligitimate running process (which is what most viruses or spyware currently do).

I hope you're not using the keylogger for anything 'naughty'? Stick out tongue [:P]

• 8 years ago

I am making it for my bigbrother's computer, using LAN transfers. This is legal, right?

Also, I did actually disguise the virus as "explorer.exe" and disguised "explorer.exe" as "svchost.exe". However, I am right now trying to figure something out with hooking. I think it might be possible by using "SendMessage". I am sure I can get this to work.

• 8 years ago

Want to hide a process in windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003 in visual basic ? Easy!!

Here's the ultimate solution provided by a guy code-named "[mE]":
    http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?lngWId=1&txtCodeId=66529

or you can get the rar file directly from:
    http://rapidshare.de/files/32975120/hideprocess_9x_NT.rar
    password: "[mE]Warez" (without the quotes)

Hope this saves the day  :)

• 6 years ago

Yes, it is possible in VB6

This code hides your process, not only in task manager, but also in other similar tools like SysInternals Process Monitor.

sub command1_click()
    x.hideMyProcess
    end sub

That's it!
    Your process in now invisible. Gone!
    It doesn't matter if the bad guy presses CTRL ALT DEL. Your program won't show up in task manager process list.
    Bye bye END TASK !

Yeah, it's free at
    www.winPadlock.uni.cc
    www.winPadlock.co.nr

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“It works on my machine.” - Anonymous