connect VB.NET 2003 to MS SQL Server 2000

.net Bermuda
  • 14 years ago

Hi

I  have a hard time connecting VB.NET 2003  Standard Edition to SQL Server 2000. When I  clicked OK from Data Link Properties, it said:

"Unable to connect to database. It is only possible to connect to SQL Server Desktop Engine databases and Microsoft Access databases with this version of Visual Studio."

It works with Access to VB .NET 2003 but I want to connect the SQL Server 2000 using VB . NET 2003.

Does anyone has a problem with this? Does anyone know how to connect VB. NET 2003 with SQL Server 2000?

I have tried to download the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition on my machine (Windows 2000 Professional) but it does not work due to .NET Framework 1.1 on  my machine. I tried to download the .NET Framework 2.0 from windows updates on my machine but  it is unsuccesful installing for some reason.

I would appreciate your help. Thanks.  Gena

• 14 years ago

hi,

paste your code other wise I dont know what you are doing wrong.

• 14 years ago

Have you experienced connecting SQL Server 2000 using VB.NET 2003?

I do not know the code to paste.

Thanks.

Gena

• 14 years ago

I do not know the code.

have you experienced connecting SQL Server 2000 using VB.NET 2003 version (not 2005)?

All I want to know.

Thanks, Gena

• 14 years ago

Imports System.Data.SqlClient

Dim oSQLConn As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection()
    oSQLConn.ConnectionString = "Data Source=(local);" & _
                                "Integrated Security=yes;"
    oSQLConn.Open()

http://www.geocities.com/sam_hughes/ADO_Conn.htm

• 14 years ago

Thanks.

It works for the first connection but it did not work for SQL DataAdapt. I will figure it out. Thanks for the help.

Regena

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“A computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are, in short, a perfect match” - Bill Bryson