php.ini not working / DLL extensions won't load

• 13 years ago

Hi, I'm having trouble getting my extensions to load on IIS7, Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit).

My php.ini file (in C:\WINDOWS) has the php_gd2.dll and php_mysqli.dll lines uncommented, and has this line:

extension_dir = "c:\php\ext"

and I've given Full Control permissions to IUSR and IIS_IUSRS, as well as adding the PHP directory (and the ext directory, just to make sure) to the PATH variable in Windows.

I'm wondering if it might be a problem with IIS accessing the php.ini file, because I tried turning off the short <? tags (which my pages use) to see if this broke the pages, but it had no effect. That's the easiest way I could think of to check that the php.ini file is being effective.

If anyone else has any ideas then I'd be grateful for some assistance.

Many thanks

• 13 years ago
    I know theres probably some valid reason to use IIS7 (although I can't think of any off the top of my head :P).

Any way, have you tried with xampp, just to check that php itself will run fine on something that's preconfigured?

• 13 years ago

Yes, the reason I'm using IIS7 is that for the next month I'm out here in Spain with just a laptop (running Vista) to work on, and my Linux box is back in the UK. It's only being used as a development machine so performance isn't an issue, and in any case I couldn't get Apache to work on Vista Stick out tongue [:P]

PHP itself runs absolutely fine, it's just the extensions which appear to refuse to load... Tongue Tied [:S]

• 13 years ago
    Visit can be really funny with permissions, try running everything as an administrator just to test out that it will run when the permissions are sorted. Although, I'm not entirely sure how you would do that as I'm still running XP.

If it still doesn't work when running as an administrator there might be a problem with IIS and php itself that needs to be sorted to get it to work on Windows. There might be some info on that on the offical php site.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field” - Niels Bohr