getting first job in C++

• 13 years ago

dear all,

i am looking for feedback about breaking into programming as a career.  I was, as a teenager, very talented albeit with a ZX Spectrum, so understnad the algorithms and how to write solutions.

Alas, in the 1980s there wasnt much of a future in the industry:  there was no internet for me to look for work or opportunities or knowledge, and IT studies didnt really go into useful programming languages.

How feasible is it to be self taught and get a junior developer role simply by demonstrating my own programmes?  I have settled on C++ because there seems a great need for junior developers and i have already written some basic code.  i have a wealth of books on the subject and would really like to start getting up to speed and writing some decent console applications.

What are the realistic possibilities of me getting a foothold in the industry?

many thanks,  neil

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Nine people can't make a baby in a month.” - Fred Brooks