IIS can't run Server.CreateObject - HELP!!

• 13 years ago

I just bought a brand new PC for my ASP developing- I wiped the pre-installed Vista Home Basic and clean installed Win XP with IIS 5.1, and then upgraded to XP SP2.

I am having alot of trouble with getting IIS to work. I copied one of my working projects from my laptop into wwwroot, and tried to run an ASP page which connects to an MDB database via Server.CreateObject. I got this error shoved in my face:

Server object, ASP 0196 (0x80040154)
    Only InProc server components should be used. If you want to use LocalServer components, you must set the AspAllowOutOfProcComponents metabase setting. Please consult the help file for important considerations.

I've spent days trying to get this to work. As far as I know the AspAllowOutOfProcComponents metabase setting is depreciated in IIS 5.1, so I have no clue why I would be getting this error.

I tried re-installing IIS, configuring it to SP2 with the ms IISLockDown utility, and i've tried every way I can find to set the metabase property but NOTHING has worked. I can't find any way to connect to my database!

Confused [8-)] Help please!!

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field” - Niels Bohr