I'm trying to use a select-statement like this:

SELECT ProductID, Sales, Score =

CASE Sales
          WHEN Sales < 10 THEN 'Small'
          WHEN Sales < 100 THEN 'Medium'
          ELSE 'Big'
       END
    FROM Performance

Which is the correct syntax if I have to believe various sites on SQL.  However, I get the following error:

Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 3
    Incorrect syntax near '<'. 

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening, and what I can do about it ?

Thanks in advance,

Erwin

• 13 years ago

This isn't a SQL Express issue - as you get the same error against SQL Server 2000.

Your problem is the reference to Sales after the CASE expression, when you're also comparing Sales in the WHEN Clause. You want

SELECT ProductID, Sales, Score =

CASE /* no sales here */
          WHEN Sales < 10 THEN 'Small'
          WHEN Sales < 100 THEN 'Medium'
          ELSE 'Big'
       END
    FROM Performance

• 13 years ago

That simple !

Many thanks for the quick reply and solution.  I was starting to go crazy.  At least 5 articles on various websites used the syntax in my post...

• 13 years ago

The difference was that the way you were using it ,was a Simple case expression , whereas the solution (based on the Boolean logic you are using ) was a Searched Case Function.

Both methods are valid , but used for different purposes

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Measuring programming progress by lines of code is like measuring aircraft building progress by weight.” - Bill Gates