Deleted sp_configure

sql server Madras, India
  • 13 years ago

Hello all,

I named a stored procedure "sp_configure" and then, upon realizing my error, I dropped it.  That took out the system sp_configure.  When I try to run the code to recreate it, I get an error saying ad-hoc changes to the system are not allowed.  When I try to configure the server to allow ad-hoc changes, I get an error 2812 saying sp_configure cannot be found.

HELP!

• 13 years ago

Wow. That's a tough one to handle. Don't know the answer to that one I'm afraid.

As an aside though, years ago I was 'instructed' NOT to call any stored procedures "sp_" xxxx. The reason being that sql then has to run though all the system sp's looking for the one you want.. hadn't considered the dropping of a system one though. Could mean a restore of the software?

Joe

• 13 years ago

Joe,

I found a work around....sort of.  I was able to add sp_configure as a USER stored procedure to the schema that I am working on.  That get's me around the error, but in the long run I will probably need to repair/reinstall the software.  There isn't much in the MSDN knowledge base about this sort of thing [other than how to use sp_xxxx].  Bill Gates could not be reached for comment. Stick out tongue

Thanks for your response Joe .. have a great holiday.  Gift

Jim

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“The trouble with programmers is that you can never tell what a programmer is doing until it's too late.” - Seymour Cray