How Import Stored Procedures from Database to Another

db , sql server India
  • 13 years ago

Hi Everybody,

I am using SQL Server 2000 as backend in my project.  At Client Site they are testing the Project.  Based on the complaints I am modifiying the tables, views & stored procedures in my system. 

The problem is I want to transfer the modifications I made in SQL Server Database to the Client machine without effecting the clients data (which is already entered in some tables).  For that I am using Import/Export wizard.  Its transfering Tables & Views, but not Stored Procedures. 

Can any body tell me how to transfer the stored procedures from one database to another.

Thanks in advance.

Ch. V. Sudhakar

• 13 years ago

Well, you can always script up the entire database procedures into a single file and then run that on the target server.

I would do the same with the target servers sp's as well though .. just in case you get some unusual behaviour once the new ones are operating. (Backup, backup, backup)

If you plan on doing this as an ongoing maintenance affair I would suggest purchasing a product called "ApexSql Diff" from http://www.apexsql.com/sql_tools_diff.asp. A very useful tool and much better than the stock standard affair offered by Sql Server 2000. Download the trial and give it a whirl. :)

Joe 

• 13 years ago

Thanks Joe.  I will try the script. 

ApexSql Diff - Price is tooooo high.  I can't afford it. 

Thanks again.

Ch. V. Sudhakar

• 13 years ago

In this scenario, scripting the stored procedures in Enterprise Manager is the best bet for you since the change is just in one direction.

If things should get more complicated for you, another tool which I recommend is Redgate's SQL Compare.

http://www.red-gate.com

We use this all the time and I sometimes wonder how we live without it!

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Debuggers don't remove bugs. They only show them in slow motion.”