PHP classes and file includes

db , php United Kingdom
  • 13 years ago

Hi guys and girls,

I've ran into a problem with PHP, I'm a C++ programmer by trade but a certain contract requires I use PHP.  However my problem is as follows:

I'm trying to seperate all the PHP logic from inline (I know class constructs etc will still need to be inline) to make it more manageable - however I'm wanting to store global parameters in a global.inc.php file i.e. database server, username, password etc etc and include this in a MyClass.class.php file so the constructor of the class can access these - but it doesn't seem possible.  I've heard that this isn't a feature in PHP?!?!?!?!

My directory structure looks something like:

• ROOT
      • classes
        • MyClass.class.php (the class wanting to use the global.inc.php)
      • config
        • globals.inc.php (contains the global config files for this site)
      • admin.php

And so in the MyClass.class.php I have

include("../config/globals.inc.php")
    but it doesn't seem to work...

Is there some other way around this? Before you answer please bear in mind that the server is many miles away and I have NO access to the php.ini file.

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I’ll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.” - Jamie Zawinski