Update statement for Oracle database

asp.net , csharp , db Highlands Ranch, United States
  • 12 years ago

First off, I'm not a database guy.  My background is in C/C++ and I'm just getting the hang of this C# stuff.  With that being said I'm setting up a DataGridView with a SqlDataSource that connects to an Oracle database.

I have my select statement working, but the update statement either updates every row in the table when I don't include a WHERE clause or it won't update any rows at all.

To give you an overview of what I'm trying to do, I want to edit comments in a table and have everything else remain the same.

There are 5 or 6 fields that make the row unique and I try to add these to my WHERE clause but it causes nothing to get updated.  I also try to use just one of the values from the table in my WHERE clause and that doesn't work either.

The weird thing is that in "Query Builder" it will update the database.  I can see the changes when I fire up the asp.net page, but then can't make updates to it while its running!  Please help.

I want to be able to update just one row with a comment and save it back to the database without the entire database table being updated.

Here's the update statement:

UpdateCommand="UPDATE PROJECT_EOC SET COMMENTS = :COMMENTS, UPDATED_BY = :UPDATED_BY, UPDATE_DATE = :UPDATE_DATE WHERE (TO_CHAR(BEGIN_YEAR) = :BEGIN_YEAR)">
                <UpdateParameters>
                    <asp:Parameter Name="COMMENTS" />
                    <asp:Parameter Name="UPDATED_BY" />
                    <asp:Parameter Name="UPDATE_DATE" />
                    <asp:Parameter Name="BEGIN_YEAR" />

The stange part is that everything works fine in QueryBuilder but not when the page is running.  Please help. 

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Walking on water and developing software from a specification are easy if both are frozen.” - Edward V Berard