Tips on Gridview displaying data from multiple tables

asp.net , db Erode, India
  • 12 years ago

Hi, I am looking to set up a gridview which takes data from 2 or more tables. The database at the minute has the following tables.

Main operational table:

Item  (pk_item_id, fk_location_id, fk_type_id, item_description)

Two lookup tables

Location (pk_location_id, loca_description)

Type (pk_type_id, type_description)

I want to get this working before I add more tables and columns to the gridview.

I want the gridview to show the following columns:

pk_item_id, loca_description, type_description 

This I have got working ok. But now what I want to be able to do is when I choose the edit button is to be able to change the values for the loca_description and type_description by using two dropdownlists. These two lists will be populated from the lookup tables. Is this possible? If so what would be a good way to tackle it? Im not even looking for actual code just a brief description on the controls you would use if you were to try such a thing.

With this project I have been landed in it a bit because I am new to asp.net and not given a lot of time to get up to speed.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 12 years ago

Ok I have done a bit of research and got a bit farther with what I want to do. Here is my code so far. I have got the gridview doing what I want except for when I try to update it. I cant find a way to bind the selected value from the dropdownlist so that I can call it from the update statement. I have put in ???????? where I need to try and call a bind variable.

Can anyone see how I can bind the dropdown to a bind variable so the update statement gets the selected value from the dropdownlist?

<asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" AutoGenerateColumns="False" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1" AllowPaging="True" AllowSorting="True" AutoGenerateEditButton="True" DataKeyNames="pk_as_item_id">

<Columns>

<asp:BoundField ReadOnly="true" DataField="pk_as_item_id" HeaderText="ID" SortExpression="pk_as_item_id" />

<asp:BoundField DataField="description" HeaderText="Description" SortExpression="description" />

<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Location" SortExpression="loca_description" >

<EditItemTemplate>

<asp:DropDownList ID="ddl_location" runat="server" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource2" DataValueField="pk_as_loca_id" DataTextField="loca_description" >

</asp:DropDownList>

</EditItemTemplate>

<ItemTemplate>

<asp:Label ID="lbl_location" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("loca_description") %>'></asp:Label>

</ItemTemplate>

</asp:TemplateField>

</Columns>

</asp:GridView>

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:Personal %>"

SelectCommand="SELECT [pk_as_item_id], [description], [fk_as_loca_id], [pk_as_loca_id], [loca_description] FROM [ITEMS], [LOCATIONS] WHERE [fk_as_loca_id] = [pk_as_loca_id]"

UpdateCommand="UPDATE [ITEMS] SET [pk_as_item_id] = @pk_as_item_id, [description] = @description, [fk_as_loca_id] = ???????  WHERE [pk_as_item_id] = @pk_as_item_id">

</asp:SqlDataSource>

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource2" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:Personal %>"

SelectCommand="SELECT [pk_as_loca_id], [loca_description] FROM [LOCATIONS]">

</asp:SqlDataSource>

• 12 years ago

Ok so turns out im an idiot. I just had to bind it to the selectedvalue attribute. This didnt come up in the intellisense so I totally forgot about it. Shows my lack of experince in asp.net. Anyway just thought I would put this up in case anyone else had a similar problem.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Java is to JavaScript what Car is to Carpet.” - Chris Heilmann