Convert datatable into .xls

.net Singapore
  • 12 years ago

how do i convert datatable into .xls without using microsoft.excel library

• 12 years ago

Does it have to be in .xls format or could you put it into csv (comma seperated value) format, this would be easy to achieve just put a comma between the column values and start each row on a new line 

• 12 years ago

yes the problem is i need the datatype for the excel. like we need to diffrentiate which one is integer, date and string.

• 12 years ago

I don't believe that you can achieve this without using the EXCEL libary, why dont you want to use the libary? 

• 12 years ago

Its client requirement

• 12 years ago

You may try thirdpaty products like ComponentOne XLS for .NET (2.0)

• 12 years ago

I dont want to use third parties!

anyone ?

• 12 years ago
    Covert Data Table To Excel With Format I have written a class library which does this with one line of code. The first parameter is the data table, the second one is to include the header or not. The library also has a method call DisplayAndRemoveFile which display the file to user for download after which if it will remove from the temp location. It also has a bunch of other hand util. This is an opensource util which you can look at the code and do further customisation. QVISLib.Utils.Utils.ConvertDTtoExcel(dt, @"c:\\temp\\dataTable.xls", true); For more information on the library and download: **http://connectionstringexamples.com/article.php?story=QVISLib-CHandyLibrary**
  • 11 years ago
    link for working example: **C# | Asp.Net | Convert DataTable to Excel File ** http://cf-sami.blogspot.com/2009/03/c-aspnet-convert-datatable-to-excel.html
  • 11 years ago
    Hi here is some sample of code of converting DataTable to Excel protected void DataTableToExcel() { Response.Clear(); Response.ClearHeaders(); DataTable dt = (DataTable)(Session["dtExport"]); string html = GenerateHTMLTable(dt); Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachment;filename="+Request.QueryString["page"]+".xls"); Response.ContentType = "application/vnd.ms-excel"; Response.Write(html); Response.Flush(); Response.Close(); Response.End(); } private string GenerateHTMLTable(DataTable dt) { StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder(); sb.Append(""); sb.Append(""); foreach (DataColumn dc in dt.Columns) { sb.Append(""); } sb.Append(""); foreach (DataRow dr in dt.Rows) { sb.Append(""); foreach (object obj in dr.ItemArray) { if (isDateTime(obj.ToString())) { string format = GetFormat(obj.ToString()); sb.Append(""); } sb.Append(""); } sb.Append("
    "); sb.Append(dc.ColumnName); sb.Append("
    "); sb.Append(obj.ToString()); sb.Append("\",\""); sb.Append(format); sb.Append("\")"); } else { sb.Append(""); sb.Append(obj.ToString()); } sb.Append("
    "); return sb.ToString(); }

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“PHP is a minor evil perpetrated and created by incompetent amateurs, whereas Perl is a great and insidious evil perpetrated by skilled but perverted professionals.” - Jon Ribbens