Select Nodes from XML File

• 9 years ago
    Hai all i am doing a VB.NET windows application . In that i am using an xml file having the following format<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><CardDetRoot>           <CardDet>                           <CardCode>CC1</CardCode>                           <OrgCode>O1</OrgCode>                           <CardName>O1CC1</CardName>                            <CardType>SAM</CardType>                            <MemSize>4K</MemSize>           </CardDet>           <CardDet>                            <CardCode>CC2</CardCode>                           <OrgCode>O2</OrgCode>                             <CardName>O2CC2</CardName>                             <Card Type>USER</CardType>                          <MemSize>4K</MemSize>                </CardDet>               <CardDet>                            <CardCode>CC3</CardCode>                            <OrgCode>O2</OrgCode>                            <CardName>O2CC3</CardName>                           <CardType>USER</CardType>                             <MemSize>4K</MemSize>              </CardDet>              <CardDet>                      <CardCode>CC4</CardCode>                       <OrgCode>O1</OrgCode>                      <CardName>O1CC4</CardName>                      <CardType>USER</CardType>                      <MemSize>8K</MemSize>             </CardDet></CardDetRoot> Here what i want to do is i want to select distinct OrgCode ie. O1  and O2. Then for each OrgCode i want to select CardCode, CardName, CardType and MemSize.Then Bind each OrgCode Details to different DataGrid.That is for O1 there are 2 records  Record 1 : CardCode = CC1, CardName = O1CC1, CardType = SAM , MemSize = 4K  Record 2 : CardCode = CC4, CardName = O1CC4, CardType = USER, MemSize = 8KI want to show there 2 records in one datagrid with datagrid heading as O1. Similarly for O2 there are 2 records Record 1 : CardCode = CC2, CardName = O2CC2, CardType = USER , MemSize = 4K Record 2 : CardCode = CC3, CardName = O2CC3, CardType = USER, MemSize = 4KI want to show there 2 records in one datagrid with datagrid heading as O2. How i can do this .. Anybody knows ? Any help appreciated . Thanks in Advance 

• 9 years ago

Tongue Tied You put whole project on our backs. Impossible. You just parse XML into standart datasource / datatable object. And then you bind it somehow to grids. Here is lot of parsing stuff http://www.vbdotnetheaven.com/Articles/ArticleListing.aspx?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=124

Give a try. Have a luck!

• 9 years ago
    This is not the whole project.... not even one-fourth of the project.. i asked this question as i am new to XML ...and ve no prior experience in XML
  • 9 years ago

Ok I tried to make a first step XML to DataSet to GridView demo :) It is easier than I suppose. Anyway your xml file is incorrect. Look in demo bin directory at x.xml. All what it does is "ds.ReadXml("x.xml", XmlReadMode.Auto)" in real. So your is to finish its data-relation works.

enjoy

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Computer science education cannot make anybody an expert programmer any more than studying brushes and pigment can make somebody an expert painter” - Eric Raymond