Help with Byref or Byval for VB6

vb 6 , byref , byval Fort Wayne, United States
  • 9 years ago
    Hello, I'm very new to coding in VB6 and I need help. I have found documentation on using the Byref and Byval kewwords but I can't get my project to work. What I'm trying to do is to take the value of a string from one process and use that string in a second process. Then I would like to take a string from the second process and take the value back to the first process. Here is an example: Public Sub getadj(ims As SessionBox, byref **Editkeyfound** as string) Dim editkey as string **Editkey** = “636” Geteditcheck form1.imssession, (editkey) if **editkeyfound** = “Y” then.... End if End Sub Public Sub geteditcheck(ims As SessionBox, Byval **editkey** As String ) Dim editkeyfound as string Dim editot as string If editot = **EditKey** then **Editkeyfound** = “Y” else **Editkeyfound** = "N" End if End Sub Currently the string, editkey, will be recognized by the geteditcheck process. But the Editkeyfound from the geteditcheck process is not recognized by the getadj process. I know that I need to tell VB what Editkeyfound means but I can't get it to work using the byref or byval keywords. If I use these key workds just like I have with the Editkey string it returns a blank even though I hit the code that states it should be a "Y" or an "N". Please let me know if you can help me figure out why the editkeyfound string is not passing a value to the getadj process. Thanks!
  • 9 years ago
    In your code Public Sub geteditcheck(ims As SessionBox, Byval editkey As String ) Dim editkeyfound as string Dim editot as string editkeyfound is a local variable and its *scope* is geteditcheck. It can't be "seen" outside geteditcheck unless you return it somehow, and in your case, you would use ByRef variable. Change the code a bit: Public Sub geteditcheck(ims As SessionBox, Byval editkey As String, ByRef editkeyfound as string) Dim editot as string Now you can refer to editkeyfound parameters value outside your procedure. Teme64 @ [Link Text](http://windevblog.blogspot.com/) Windows Developer Blog

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“There are 10 types of people in the world, those who can read binary, and those who can't.”