Avoiding looking like a Spammer / Phisher / when using SMTP

smtp , phishing , guidelines Luton, United Kingdom
  • 12 years ago
    **Background** Where do I start? Our web application is going to provide "quotation" functionality for our customers. It's all lovely and secure. You can only access the site with a logon and it's almost like a back office application. For simplicity, Imagine we are wholesalers, our customer are retailers and their customers are the general public. Our web app is going to provide the retailer (e.g. ACME Ltd.) with the ability to make a quote and email it to their customer (e.g. Fred). We have registered a domain (e.g. quoteme.eu) from which we can send our SMTP emails quite happily. We want to use this domain rather than our own to make our retailers look professional, not to decieve. Anyone with the ability to right click will be able to see from the header that the email has actually come from us. **Problem** My problem is that we'd like to put ACME Ltd's email address as the "reply-to" field but I fear that this will be picked up as an obvious attempt to deceive by many email clients and put in the "possible Phishing" folder or deleted. Are there any guidelines or known methods for ensuring that we are not a false positive? The little bit of research I've done tells me that email certificates have been tried but are not universally implemented. I suppose the only foolproof way is to send the email to ACME Ltd and for them to send it on to Fred so that the from and reply-to can be the same. There don't seem to be any general guidelines out there. Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers Jim

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Java is to JavaScript what Car is to Carpet.” - Chris Heilmann