VB6 Problem Creating Shortcuts

vb6 , shortcut , creating shortcut Philadelphia, United States
  • 11 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I wrote a program which create creates a series of shortcuts on multiple servers.

In some cases when I create shortcuts to folders when I click on the folder shortcut the dialog box pops up that asks me which application do I want to use to open this

I have noticed this most frequently when I am creating shortcuts on remote systems or network shares.

Here it the code to the create the shortcut

Public Sub CreateShortcut(ByVal shortcutLocation As String, ByVal shortcutTarget As String, _ ByVal shortcutName As String, ByVal iconType As Integer)

On Error GoTo CreateShortcut_Err

Dim MyShortcut As Object Dim oshell As Object

If InStr(1, shortcutLocation, ":") = 0 And InStr(1, shortcutLocation, "$") = 0 Then shortcutLocation = "C:\" & shortcutLocation

Set oshell = CreateObject("wscript.shell") Set MyShortcut = oshell.CreateShortcut(shortcutLocation & "\" & shortcutName)

' Set shortcut object properties and save it
    MyShortcut.TargetPath = shortcutTarget
    MyShortcut.WindowStyle = 4

'Set the icon to represent the shortcut (4=open folder  1=textpad 220=IE)
        Select Case iconType
            Case "0"
                MyShortcut.IconLocation = MyShortcut.TargetPath & ",0"
            Case "1"
                MyShortcut.IconLocation = "C:\Windows\System32\Shell32.dll,1"
            Case "4"
                MyShortcut.IconLocation = "C:\Windows\System32\Shell32.dll,4"
            Case "220"
                MyShortcut.IconLocation = "C:\Windows\System32\Shell32.dll,220"
            Case Else
                wlog "Something went wrong building the shortcut"
        End Select

If InStr(shortcutTarget, "SCConfigTool.exe") <> 0 Then
            MyShortcut.WorkingDirectory = Mid(shortcutTarget, 1, Len(shortcutTarget) - Len("\SCConfigTool.exe"))
        End If

If InStr(shortcutTarget, "SoarianLogTool.exe") Then
            MyShortcut.WorkingDirectory = Mid(shortcutTarget, 1, Len(shortcutTarget) - Len("\SoarianLogTool.exe"))
        End If

If InStr(shortcutTarget, "MGR07.EXE") <> 0 Then
            MyShortcut.WorkingDirectory = Mid(shortcutTarget, 1, Len(shortcutTarget) - Len("\MGR07.EXE"))
        End If

MyShortcut.Save
    MyShortcut.Save

CreateShortcut_Err: logger.LogMessage (Err.Description) Err.Clear Resume Next End Sub

Here is my call to this sub:

Call CreateShortcut(fDest, sDrv & Mid(sServicesDir, 2) , "Services.lnk", "4")

If I view the properties on the shortcut I created the path is valid. If I hit the find target button it opens up the parent folder of the one I built my shortcut to.

If I click in the path box and enter / immediately I get a list of paths to chose. If I simply type anything in the box and then delete what I typed and hit apply the shortcut starts working.

Does anyone have any ideas?

As you can see, I tried doing the shortcut.save twice. I also tried terminating my path with "\" but nothing seems to work.

-Rich

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.” - Edsger Dijkstra