perl and php similar?

php Australia
  • 18 years ago

I noticed php and perl were together on the devfusion menu. Are these languages the same or similar. Is php like an updated perl? thanks.

• 18 years ago

they are similar in that they are both server-side scripting languages...
    but that is just about where the similarities end.

i think they are together on the devfusion menu because there isn't currently much call for them from beginners/amature scripters,
    and also because this site started out as a VB/VBA/ASP website, and has since expanded in other programming areas....

although I could be wrong!

• 18 years ago

you've got it in one As soon as we have sufficient resources in either PHP or Perl, I'll seperate out the sections.

• 18 years ago

No, they are not similar. Basically this site is VB Oriented. Few of my PHP submissions are still pending @ developer fusion and James seems to be too busy. If you want to learn basics you can visit
    Netrpx Infoways

• 18 years ago

Quote:
    [1]Posted by gringod on 24 Apr 2002 06:30 AM[/1]
    they are similar in that they are both server-side scripting languages...
    but that is just about where the similarities end.

Perl is server side scripting language ?? No way.
    It is not at all server side language.

and they have very few similarities between them.

and pradeep, Just have a look your resources are getting approved !!

JD

• 18 years ago

Yeah, i guess you're right about perl not being server-side scripting.

But you can also use php to create standalone apps, especially since they got the GTK module for it.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind.” - Alan Kay