Database

vb6 Brazil
  • 18 years ago

Hi,
    I need to access a database through ODBC. What is better to use: ADO, DAO or RDO? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each one?

Thank u very much,
    Dirso

• 18 years ago

Hmm it depends on your needs. Are you going to want to mangage multiple users/transactions? If it's just simple data access you're after for a pure code based approach use DAO (me like, me post article on this site ) or use ADO for a more control based approach. I don't know about RDO and I have no experience with the multi-user side of thing.

If that's what you're after ask one of the Gurus like Rollershade, James C or WebJose (there's prob plenty more who can answer this but I'm pretty sure this three have a fair amount of database experience).

Also if you're using (or intend to use VS.NET in the future, it may pay you to look into ADO.NET and this may sway you to use ADO to make your code a little more portable).

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Weeks of coding can save you hours of planning.”