Derived classes from base classes

• 18 years ago

Ok children, before i giveyou the problem id just like to explain what im trying to do.

The 1 major difference between C++ and every other language ive learned, is the strings, you cant compare & or + them, also there are no built in functions to change there case (upper or lower) determine there length or to get a small section of them, (for searching).

So, to learn how to use these strings i decided to make a string Class, which would have all these functions, as i thought it would be a good was to learn these new string rules.

I have created my class, it has all the described functions, ( all work fine ) ( and the operators '=' {makes the string equal to  a sting on the right} '==' which compares 2 classes and returns true of false, and '&' which appends two string classes together.

anouther problem, was the string length, unlike in VB it has to be fixed ( thee array has to be declaired with a constant).

As this class i created was for my use whenever i wanted to use a clas,,, BIG or Small and wanting to be a 'GOOD' programmer didnt want to use massive strings in cases when i only needed to store a name, I thought i could use inheritance to solve my problem.

As a variables in a derived class override the variables in the base class ( when names are identicle ) i thought i could derive MANY classes from the base class which used al of the same functions and variables but with 1 difference,,,, the member char array would be of different sizes,, ( i used protected, not private incase u thought i made that mistake)

The only problem,,, The Over loaded operators dont seems to be inherited by the drived class Why the hell not ??

I realise i may seem very dumb, but ive only been learning c++ for a couple of weeks, so forgive me for any obviouse mistakes or bad practices i am using.
    Here is my code for any1 who thinks they can point out whats wrong,

ThanX

(NOTE, if you try to use this in a c++ program, you will notice that if you use the base class CStrClass Everything works fine, but the classes derived from it do not.)

// StrClass.h
    // Basic String Functions
    //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    // Base Class    | CStrClass     |                          |  Holds Strings of Max Length 1024  + Null
    // Derived Class | CStrClass64   |  Derived From CStrClass  |  Holds Strings of Max Length 64    + Null
    // Derived Class | CstrClass128  |  Derived From CStrClass  |  Holds Strings of Max Length 128   + Null
    // Derived Class | CstrClass256  |  Derived From CStrClass  |  Holds Strings of Max Length 256   + Null
    // Derived Class | CstrClass128  |  Derived From CStrClass  |  Holds Strings of Max Length 512   + Null
    // Derived Class | CstrClass128  |  Derived From CStrClass  |  Holds Strings of Max Length 2048  + Null
    // Derived Class | CstrClass128  |  Derived From CStrClass  |  Holds Strings of Max Length 5120  + Null
    // Derived Class | CstrClass128  |  Derived From CStrClass  |  Holds Strings of Max Length 10240 + Null
    //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    // Class Functions::      |   Returns:  |  Parameters:                    | Description:
    // UCase                  |   void      |  void                             | Converts all lowercase characters to uppercase.
    // LCase                  |   void      |  void                             | Converts all uppercase characters to lowercase.
    // GetChar                |   char      |  (int N)                          | Returns Nth Character of the member char array.
    // SetChar                |   void      |  (int N, char C)                  | Gets the Nth character to character C.
    // GetPointer             |   char*     |  void                             | Returns a pointer to the string, use to acces the string directly, Eg cout << MyString.GetPointer();
    // GelLen                 |   int       |  void                             | Returns the number of characters in the string (excluding the terminating NULL '\0')
    // Mid                    |   void      |  (char pchar, int start, int len) | Read (len) Number of Characters From the member char arrar starting from character (start). and put the characters in the character array which pchar points to,, eg. MyString.Mid( &AString[0], 2, 5) or, MyString.Mid( MyString.GetPointer(), 2, 5)
    // OverLoaded Operators:  |  Returns:    |  Parameters: |    Description:
    //                      = |  void        |  char* pchar |    Copys the string pointer pchar points to into the member char array.
    //                      = |  void        |  Same Class  |    Copys the string from the parameter class into its own.
    //                     == |  bool        |  Same Class  |    Compares the parameter class' string with its own, returns true if the two are identicle.
    //                      & |  Same Class  |  Same Class  |    Appends the Parameters class' string to its own.
    //
    // *************************************************************************************************************************
    // Base Class
    class CStrClass
    {
    protected:
       char m
    charString[1024];
       int  miMaxIndex;
       void m
    vChangeCase(bool Upper);        

public:
       CStrClass()                  {miMaxIndex = 1024; mcharString[0] = '\0'; mcharString[miMaxIndex] = '\0';}
       void UCase()                 {mvChangeCase(true);}
       void LCase()                 {m
    vChangeCase(false);}
       char GetChar(int N)          {return mcharString[N];}
       void SetChar(int N, char C)  {m
    charString[N] = C;}
       char* GetPointer()           {return &mcharString[0];}
       int  GetLen();
       void Mid(char* pchar,int start, int len);

void       operator =   (char* pchar)
       {
           int N=0;
           while ((*(pchar + N) != '\0') && ( N < m
    iMaxIndex ))
           {
               mcharString[N] = *(pchar + N);
               N++;
           }
           m
    charString[N] = '\0';
       }
       void       operator =   (CStrClass TempClass);
       bool       operator ==  (CStrClass TempClass);
       CStrClass  operator &   (CStrClass TempClass);
    };
    // ****************************************
    //
    // Derived Class'
    class CStrClass64: CStrClass
    {
    protected:
       char mcharString[64];
    public:
       CStrClass64(){m
    iMaxIndex = 64; mcharString[0] = '\0'; mcharString[miMaxIndex] = '\0';}
    };
    class CStrClass128: CStrClass
    {
    protected:
       char m
    charString[128];
    public:
       CStrClass128(){miMaxIndex = 128; mcharString[0] = '\0'; mcharString[miMaxIndex] = '\0';}
    };
    class CStrClass256: CStrClass
    {
    protected:
       char mcharString[256];
    public:
       CStrClass256(){m
    iMaxIndex = 256; mcharString[0] = '\0'; mcharString[miMaxIndex] = '\0';}
    };
    class CStrClass512: CStrClass
    {
    protected:
       char m
    charString[512];
    public:
       CStrClass512(){miMaxIndex = 512; mcharString[0] = '\0'; mcharString[miMaxIndex] = '\0';}
    };
    class CStrClass2048: CStrClass
    {
    protected:
       char mcharString[2048];
    public:
       CStrClass2048(){m
    iMaxIndex = 2048; mcharString[0] = '\0'; mcharString[miMaxIndex] = '\0';}
    };
    class CStrClass5120: CStrClass
    {
    protected:
       char m
    charString[5120];
    public:
       CStrClass5120(){miMaxIndex = 5120; mcharString[0] = '\0'; mcharString[miMaxIndex] = '\0';}
    };
    class CStrClass10240: CStrClass
    {
    protected:
       char mcharString[10240];
    public:
       CStrClass10240(){m
    iMaxIndex = 10240; mcharString[0] = '\0'; mcharString[miMaxIndex] = '\0';}
    };
    // *************************************************************************************************************************
    // Member Functions
    void CStrClass::m
    vChangeCase(bool Upper)
    {
       int N=0;

while (N < GetLen())
       {
           if (Upper = true)
           {
               if ((mcharString[N] > 96) && (mcharString[N] < 123)) { mcharString[N] = mcharString[N] - 32; }
           }
           else
           {
               if ((mcharString[N] > 64) && (mcharString[N] < 91 )) { mcharString[N] = mcharString[N] + 32; }
           }
           N++;
       }
    }
    // Public Functions
    int CStrClass::GetLen()
    {
       int N=0;
       while ((N < miMaxIndex) && (mcharString[N] != '\0' )) {N++;}
       return N;
    }
    void CStrClass::Mid(char* pchar, int start, int len)
    {
       for (int N=start; N < (start + len); N++)
       {
           (pchar+(N-start)) = m_charString[N];
       }

(pchar+(N-start)) = '\0';
    }
    // ****************************************
    // OverLoaded Operators
    // void CStrClass:perator = (char* pchar)
    //{
    //    int N=0;
    //    while ((*(pchar + N) != '\0') && ( N < miMaxIndex ))
    //    {
    //        m
    charString[N] = *(pchar + N);
    //        N++;
    //    }
    //    mcharString[N] = '\0';
    //}
    //-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    void CStrClass:perator = (CStrClass TempClass)
    {
       int N=0;
       while ((TempClass.GetChar(N) != '\0' ) && ( N < m
    iMaxIndex ))
       {
           mcharString[N] = TempClass.GetChar(N);
           N++;
       }
       m
    charString[N] = '\0';
    }
    //-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bool CStrClass:perator == (CStrClass TempClass)
    {
       bool Equal = true;
       int N=0;
       if (GetLen() != TempClass.GetLen())
       {return false;}
       else
       {
           while (( N < GetLen()) && (Equal = true))
           {
               if (mcharString[N] != TempClass.GetChar(N)) { Equal = false ;}
               N++;
           }
       }
       return Equal;
    }
    CStrClass CStrClass:perator & (CStrClass TempClass)
    {
       CStrClass ReturnClass;
       int       N=0,X=0;
       while ((GetChar(N) != '\0') && (N < m
    iMaxIndex))
       {
           ReturnClass.SetChar( N, GetChar(N));
           N++;
       }
       while ((TempClass.GetChar(X) != '\0') && ( N < m_iMaxIndex ))
       {
           ReturnClass.SetChar(N, TempClass.GetChar(X));
           N++;
           X++;
       }
       ReturnClass.SetChar(N,'\0');
       return ReturnClass;
    }

// **************

• 18 years ago

Hi,

Try to define mcharString as a char pointer (char *mcharString), and allocate memory for it inside the constructor.

Try this:
    // Base Class
    class CStrClass
    {
    protected:
      char *mcharString;
      int  m
    iMaxIndex;
      void m_vChangeCase(bool Upper);        

public:
      CStrClass(int iMaxLength = 1024)                  
     {
          miMaxIndex = iMaxLength ;
          m
    charString = new char[miMaxIndex + 1];
          memset(m
    charString, miMaxIndex + 1, 0)

}
      ~CStrClass(){ delete m
    charString; }

/// ...
    };

// and try this 1 to ur derived classes
    // Derived Class'
    class CStrClass64: CStrClass
    {
    public:
      CStrClass64():CStrClass(64 /* change to value to the max length of ur class /)
      {
        /
    nothing to do here, the base class do it for u */
      }
    };

I hope it helps,

Best Regards,
    Dirso

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: premature optimization is the root of all evil.” - Donald Knuth