Sorting

vb6 , web services United States
  • 18 years ago

I am using VB3. With grid.vbx. I can Bubble sort a column OK, but how do I sort the rows as well. For example, I have columns Name Age Height. If I sort Height, how do I get the Name and Age sorted with the Height so that the rows are in the same order as the sorted Height?

• 18 years ago

I have written a resource to post on this site regarding sorting (using the quicksort algorithm), but it hasn't been posted yet.  Here is a link where you can go to download the program and copy my code (you'll have to modify it a little bit because the code is written to sort an Array).  SORTING PROGRAM

• 18 years ago

If they link says "Access Denied" or "Forbidden" then just reload the page.  It's because I can't link out to their server.  Most free web services control that sort of thing.  Sorry about the miscommunication.

• 18 years ago

DaddyLongLes, was it you i was supposed to be helping with this?

If it was, sorry just have not had the time......

Also i get the same problem with the above link, i need a fast sorting routine. I am using a bubble sort - not sure if this is the fastest way.

Stevesoft

• 18 years ago

It seems that it is a must for now, so I'll check apoc's resource and try to approve by tomorrow.

• 18 years ago

You have this routine:

Code:

Sub SaveCurrentRecord()

'Fill Person with the currently displayed data

'Name
       Person.FileName = txtName.Text
       'Age
       Person.FileAge = txtAge.Text

'Save Person to the current record.
       Put #FileNum, CurrentRecord, Person

End Sub

but i can't see where CurrentRecord is ever changed (increased) , so it seems to write to the same part of the file all the time. Should we not be increasing current record?

also you have this:

Code:

Sub FillGrid()

grdDummy.Row = CurrentRecord
       grdDummy.Col = 1
       grdDummy.Text = Person.FileName
       grdDummy.Col = 2
       grdDummy.Text = Person.FileAge

End Sub

but current record is always set to 1. so it always writes to the same row in the grid.

Here we have a problem. For writing to the file we need to increase the current record by the recordlength, but for writing to the grid we need to increase the current record by 1.

I think sorting the data is going to be easy, but first we need some data to sort. I am not trying to critises, i am just trying to help. It's quite difficult cause i don't have vb3.

Give me your thoughts on the currentrecord variable, in the mean time i will keep looking at your code......

Stevesoft

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Debugging is anticipated with distaste, performed with reluctance, and bragged about forever.” - Dan Kaminsky