Javascript menu systems

java , javascript United Kingdom
  • 18 years ago

I'm sort of learning HTML programming (mostly by trial and error and viewing examples of web pages online) and have reached a point where I am interested in learning about Javascripts.

There are obviously plenty of script archives on the net, but does anyone know of any website where they have extensive javascript tutorials, including dictionaries of commands and examples?

I am currently very interested in learning about how to make clever-looking menus for site navigation, and any examples of these would be gratefully received.

Heinrich.

• 18 years ago

a lot of people would disagree with me but i would recommend learning from books, rather than lifting examples from script archives.

that way, you learn the language really well and actually understand what you're doing very well. you can also claim the copyright for your scripts etc.

if you want to do "clever-looking menus" then it's far, far safer (and easier) to use flash. i say safer, because something like 98.7% of web users have the flash plug in. with javascript, there are lots of different versions and old crappy browsers will screw up your code and it'll all go tits up. sometimes.

I would recommend the following books (and i get 15% comission )

Teach Yourself JavaScript in 24 Hours

Teach Yourself Flash MX in 24 Hours

• 18 years ago

Thanks, Paul,

Good advice there, but I'm afraid I can't justify the expense of purchasing Flash MX (unless you want to give me it as a present ) although I'd love to have it.

But on the topic of books, can you recommend a decent Javascript book?

Heinrich.

• 18 years ago

hehehehe you'd replied before i'd managed to correctly post that message

yeah i probably sounded a bit pessimistic towards javascript, it is very good.

the book above i'd recommend.

re: flash - apparently (not that i'd - cough - know) you can download the 30 day free trial and crack it.

or so i've heard. not that i do that. honest.

• 18 years ago

Is it possible, in this day and age to "crack" such a fine application as Flash MX trial version??

Tut tut tut. Now if you were someone that DID know how to do that, how WOULD you do it?

And I don't doubt your honesty for a minute!

Thanks for the recommendation of the book - I'll get Father Christmas to sort it out...

Heinrich.

• 18 years ago

make sure father christmas buys it from amazon and uses the link above so that paulfp gets 15% comission hehe

(not that i'm encouraging people to buy through me - i would never bend the amazon terms of membership)

you can get Flash MX on student liscence, i think it's about £65ish.... when my trial expires i'm going to buy that.

• 18 years ago

what's your email address? i was going to email you an, erm... flash tutorial   but it's set to hidden in your profile. email me and i'll send it to you.

it tells you some really interesting stuff that you can - heh - try out in the trial version.

(i think trial versions are gay - 30 days is no way long enough to teach yourself and really get to grips with it. especially if you only get the change at weekends - then it's a (counts) 8 day trial! oh, i suppose they just want you to have a taster... humph anyway all my products are 30-execution evaulations which are much better )

• 18 years ago

Great!

I'm always interested in learning new development tools.

You can email me at my hotmail email thingy and send me that interesting thing.

By the way, how on earth can someone my age buy a student version? I stopped being a student in 1988!!

Your assistance may well prove invaluable!

Heinrich.

• 18 years ago

A good website that i use all the time is http://javascript.internet.com , just uncase you hadn't found it bye now

• 18 years ago

Quote:
    how on earth can someone my age buy a student version
    yeah i know, student liscences are gay. i mean, someone of your age (whatever that is ) should be able to get a discount, cos its not as if you're a massive big company making zillions out of using it are you?

me, i'm just an amateur playing around with it for fun - therefore i refuse to pay x hundred pounds!!

• 18 years ago

Well, I'm not that old, but would be a "mature student" (whatever that means - I thought that term was an oxymoron!) were I to return to study.

But you're right, I think they shouldn't call it "student licence". Anyone who is not intent on making zillions with it should be allowed a discount. There's too much of that going on - and I'm sure it's why people search for cracks to get free software. Can you imagine Macromedia taking Joe Public to court over a £300 program which they downloaded as a trial version and which they later "cracked"? The costs would make the exercise pointless.

I reckon they should have a "professional licence" and a "standard licence", the first being about 5x the second.

Heinrich.

• 18 years ago

Quote:
    "mature student" (whatever that means - I thought that term was an oxymoron!) were I to return to study.

lol nice one!!!

• 18 years ago

Was I the only student on my course that was embarrassed by my peers?

I looked at your tutorial... and can honestly say that it is probably the most useful piece of Flash information that I'll get to see. I've not tried it yet (although I've downloaded the trial version) due to the time, but I'll load it up at the weekend and have a look.

A useful Flash developers' site is here - a friend pointed me at it recently (when I got Flash 4 off an old cover disk) and I'll invite him over for a really hot chilli some time and he can show me round it.

Cheers, mate! It's all for the glory, you know!!

Heinrich.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid with millions of bricks piled on top of each other, with no structural integrity, but just done by brute force and thousands of slaves” - Alan Kay