Annoyance

• 18 years ago

Hi,

I hope somebody can answer this question although I think it may be OS/hardware specific.

I have written two VBA programs in Excel for my school. One is a complete report writing system, the other is a basic pupil information program.

They are dramatically different in size - One saves as a (typically) a 1.7meg file and the pupil info at just under 1 meg.

They were written in Office 2000. Having completed the programming, I have dished them out to our staff laptops - most of which run Windows XP Home edition - some have Win Me.

Here is the problem:

The program runs instantly on my computer. I have NEVER had any trouble. On a proportion of the laptops it also runs with no problem. However on, say, ten to eleven it takes FOREVER to just load the first menu or a list box with a list of pupils names. It also has virtual memory problems which Win XP Home tries to fix.

So...

I have made all of the laptops identical to mine. I have taken away GFX card memory, taking the system memory up to 120mb (8mb to the GFX - identical to mylaptop). In windows XP I have removed system restore, indexing services, msn messenger, auto-updates, desktop sharing and I have increased the page file from 146mb (variable) to 512mb (fixed). I have then defragmented the harddrive. I have repeated this on all the laptops and they are practically identical now seeing as very few of our staff know how to do anything more with a laptop.

And yet...

Still on some it takes ages to load up. Some teachers reckon it gets quicker each time???
    Has anyone else come across this problem. In the pupil information I have used seven forms which is nothing compared to the reporting system which uses nearer 25. I think I may do my programming a little different. All my code is contained within the form itself as opposed to the worksheets?

The one last thing that has just occured to me is that I do not have the Office Assistant installed on my laptop. Has anyone had any problems with clip-it or the others..??

I would really appreciate some help on this as I really do not want to have to remove all my very hard work.

Thank you.

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“C++: an octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.” - Steve Taylor