Remote Scripting With JavaScript and ASP

This is a comment thread discussing Remote Scripting With JavaScript and ASP
  • 16 years ago

Hi,

The article is very good. But I have got a small problem. Whom do i Contact for further queries.
    Can the author look into the quries or problems if the users like me has some problems.

Please let us know.

Regards,

Sailendra.

email:tirusail@yahoo.com

• 16 years ago

you can contact the author at mitchell@devarticles.com  (sorry ... that information should be present in his profile)

• 16 years ago

I have tried to run the samples on your article on RS and none of them work. I get an error when RSGetASPObject is invoked.
    The problem is in this method  MSRSstartRequest. The msg say Object does not support property or method was not handled. Is there something that I'm missing. I using InterDev 6 on Win2k SP2. Pls Help

• 15 years ago
    I'm getting an error stating
    "Object doesn't support this property or method".
    When i debeg it, it is found on rs.htm file and on the line where
    "this.rsapplet.startRequest(request.id,url_context,url,this.REQUEST_MODE_COMPLETE);" is mentioned.
    Please help.
  • 15 years ago

amitmathur23, you have to install the "Remote Scripting 1.0b" for resolve it...

• 15 years ago
    I have in  c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\scriptlibray installed all the files for the remote scripting to work( rs.htm,rs.asp,rxproxy.class,etc).
    I have  in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\catalog\config\test.asp which uses the remote scripting by adding this
    lines to the code
    <body>
    <!-- Incluir para Remote Scripting -->
    <script language="JavaScript" src="../../ScriptLibrary/rs.htm"></script>
    <script language="JavaScript">RSEnableRemoteScripting("../../ScriptLibrary");</script>
    <!---->
    </body>
    And it stills gives me the same error:"Object doesn't support this property or method" with a line number not matching a line in the code.

What can I do? I have tried to re-install the rs files and it sill didn't work, what else can I do?
  • 15 years ago

Hello

I had similar errors to those that you mentioned, i noticed that they occured soon after i had installed the sun jvm, after much head scratching and even altering rs.htm it dawned on me that perhaps the new jvm might be the reason and that i might not have any problems if i used microsofts jvm instead, i dont know if this is for sure, but when i disabled the sun jvm i didn't have any more of the problems that i had, which happen to be very similar to you own

• 15 years ago

hi there,

hey did you able to run "remote scripting with javascript and asp" tutorial successfully ? if so, pl help me in that.

Thanks,

viral shah.

• 15 years ago

Install SP1 for Win XP.

Due to litigation matters, JVM was not included in the release of XP (with IE6), but is now finally available in SP1.

regards,
    KH

• 15 years ago

The article is great but when I run this I get an error saying failed to create object "people.asp"

I am running win2kserver sp3/visual idev 6 sp5

Thanks
    Jack

• 15 years ago

I got the same error i had to change the path from

<script language="JavaScript">
     RSEnableRemoteScripting("/_ScriptLibrary");
    </script>

to

<script language="JavaScript">
     RSEnableRemoteScripting("_ScriptLibrary");
    </script>
    and it worked

• 15 years ago
    Hi All,

I had been struggling with remote scripting and getting separate erros on two machines I tried. On 1 it was "Failed to create object: <name of page>.asp" and the other, it said "Object does not support method".  

I spent 4-5 hours and then came back the next day and it struck me after talking to a friend that it might be because my PC uses Sun JVM. Mind you, I have installed Win XP Service Pack 1 and my PC is updated as of yesterday. I then downloaded Microsoft JVM from http://www.entsol.com/html/the_microsoft_jvm.html and installed it. And guess what!  it works now.

For you guys who're struggling to get Remote Scripting to work, try this and see if it works for you!

Anil
  • 15 years ago

Hi Anil,
    This looks like solution to my problem,
    Romote scripting which was working suddenly stopped working don't know the reason. probably the JVM got changed sometime back Thanks alot. I will try changing JVM....to remote scripting...
    thanks again
    Amit.

• 15 years ago
    The code is working very fine and saved me from refreshing the page again and agian.
    It requires Microsoft VM to run and also though a very common thing which just slips of our mind - use "../folder/_scriptlibrary" in the client file .
    This may be one of the reasons that its giving an error "Object doesn't support this property or method"
  • 15 years ago

All I want to beable to do is have the Remote scripting return a matrix of the querry I submitted. I tried going through the tutorial on remote scripting step by step and can't get the List People SQL tutorial to work. Does anybody know how I can dynamically look up SQL Queries on the serverside and dynamically change my page on the server side?!

The tutorial just hangs never finds any of the users and locks the browser.

Thanks

Shep

• 14 years ago
    hi,
      I am trying some remote scripts. I am getting the same error "Failed to create the ASP object: url". I tried installing the JVM, but still i am receiving the error. I am pasting my code here for your reference. I will appreciate if you have any suggestions or comments,

The "snake.htm" calls snake.asp file from the server.  The snake.asp and snake.htm are in the same folder on the server. I am running the client browser from the server machine.

<HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE>Remote Scripting Test</TITLE>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY>
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" src="../_ScriptLibrary/RS.HTM"></SCRIPT>
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
      RSEnableRemoteScripting("../_ScriptLibrary")
    </SCRIPT>
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" for="btnStraight" event="onclick">
       snake = RSGetASPObject("snake.asp")
       cycle = T1.value;
       co = snake.TravelStraight(cycle);
    </SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" for="btnStop" event="onclick">
       snake = RSGetASPObject("snake.asp")
       co = snake.STOP();
    </SCRIPT>

<form name ="snake_frm">
    <p>Enter the No of Cycles    <input type="text" name="T1" size="5" tabindex="1"></p>
     <p> </p>
     <p>                     
     <input type="button" value="STRAIGHT" name="btnStraight">      
     </p>

<p>     <input type="button" value="Right" name="btnRight">   
     <input type="button" value="CENTER" name="btnCenter">    
     <input type="button" value="LEFT" name="btnLeft">       
     </p>
     <p>                           
     <input type="button" value="STOP" name="btnStop"></p>
     <p> </p>
     <p> </p>
     <p> </p>
     <p> </p>
     <p> </p>
     <p> </p>
     <p> </p>
    </form>
    <p> </p>
    <p> </p>

</body>
    </html>

• 14 years ago

I have read this article on Remote scripting with Asp.  I am wondering if any support is there with Asp.Net. If there what are the relevant links to practice remote scripting with asp.net. Tx

• 14 years ago
    there are several applet-free alternatives to microsoft's implementation of remote scripting that will work with ASP.NET

cross browser remote scripting client
    http://authors.aspalliance.com/thycotic/articles/view.aspx?id=4

sample asp.net application using remote scripting
    http://www.thycotic.com/dotnet_remotescripting.html

-brian

Quote:
    [1]Posted by rv_2000 on 7 Oct 2003 06:01 AM[/1]
    I have read this article on Remote scripting with Asp.  I am wondering if any support is there with Asp.Net. If there what are the relevant links to practice remote scripting with asp.net. Tx
  • 12 years ago
    hi,
      i tried this it working in my local server (windows 2000). But when i uploaded these files on the internet server it showing an error message "OBJECT DOES NOT SUPPORT THIS PROPERTY OR METHOD". Do u know why this is happening.

kumar

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Anyone who considers arithmetic methods of producing random digits is, of course, in a state of sin.” - John von Neumann