Handling events from an object declared in a global module?

• 13 years ago
    Hi!

I have a bit of a conundrum. I have a VB.net module where I declare some global variables (and since they're in a module, they're also shared). Now, I declared them like so:

Module modGlobals

Public WithEvents g_Customer As New Customer()
    Public WithEvents g_Ord As New Order()

End Module

The events they raise are declared and raised like so (simplified):

' Declare eventhandler
    Public Event CustomerUpdated As eventhandler

' Raise the event
    Public Sub UpdateCustomer(ByVal dt As DataTable)

RaiseEvent CustomerUpdated(Me, New System.EventArgs)

End Sub

Now, I attempt to write an event handler for this event on one of my forms:

Public Sub g_Customer_CustomerUpdated(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles g_Customer.CustomerUpdated

'Do stuff

End Sub

However, the compiler kindly notifies me that "Handles clause requires a WithEvents variable defined in the containing type or one of its base types."

Now, the g_Customer object is, as you can see, declared "WithEvents", and there is no way of declaring an instance of a module (nor would I want to). So, am I simply missing something, or can I not raise events in objects declared inside a module?

Thanks for any help and pointers!

Eskil

• 13 years ago

Maybe you can try adding the event handler dynamically at runtime.

On the load event of your form, add the line:

AddHandler g_Customer.CustomerUpdated, AddressOf g_Customer_CustomerUpdated

• 13 years ago

If you do try the above, the other thing to mention is that you can remove the 'handles' from the definition of g_customer_customerupdated

Public Sub g_Customer_CustomerUpdated(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)

'Do stuff

End Sub

• 13 years ago
    That worked beautifully. Thank you!

• 13 years ago
    I'm glad it worked! Another point to make is that it's probably good practice to make a call to RemoveHandler when you're finished in your form.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“To iterate is human, to recurse divine” - L. Peter Deutsch