Point of Sale Developers: Hardware & C# SDK

• 12 years ago

Hello, I am looking to develop a point of sale system for my family’s small business. I require the following pieces of hardware that I wish to integrate with a custom POS system I am in the process of developing.

Receipt Printer – Print generic receipt information and a barcode.

Barcode Printer – One that is able to print on dumbbell shaped tags. Small enough to wrap around jewelry pieces.

Barcode Scanner – One that will be able to read my own printed barcodes from both receipts and sale tags.

Label Printer – One that prints on sticker-like rectangular labels. Used for quick printing of shipping addresses, to slap onto boxes.

All 3 will be hooked up to one PC.

I am developing in .NET 2.0, C# with Microsoft SQL 2005, and I am looking for simplicity over bells and whistles. I know that there are members here that have far more experience than me as software engineers, so I figured I would consult for some guidance. Any particular brands with known SDK’s that are particularly easy to develop for would be appreciated. Specific hardware for any of the above would be appreciated even more.

Many thanks in advance.

• 12 years ago
    For a first time development, look at the big names, we use Epson & Star almost exclusively for printing, depending on the requirements (both for a receipt and for labels) For barcodes, you can't go far wrong with a Metrologic scanner Interface wise the scanner will be easiest as a keyboard wedge (ie a PS-2 connector); the characters read from the barcode come in as a keyboard stream of characters. For the printers, it's up to you - for your own development that isn't commercial, USB is probably going to be easiest, but keep the software interface independant - in a commercial environment it's a good idea to screw all the connectors in so that they aren't easily pulled out. Don't underestimate the work required in creating a POS system - we've been doing it for 15 years, and we're still developing!! Neil. www.havensystems.co.uk
  • 12 years ago

Thanks Neil!  You are a life saver.  I love the internet.  It's so easy to reach people with extensive experience.  15 years of POS development is a hell of a long time.  Yes, I have a deep appreciation for POS developers now. The scope of this project is monolithic.  But I'm fresh blood, just graduated from Computer Science and looking for a challenge.  I'll keep you posted on how it goes and my experience with the hardware I purchased.

The advice was much appreciated, Peter  
  • 12 years ago
    Mary, i think i can help you. i have a lot of this code for a system we have developed. contact me if you are interested.
  • 12 years ago
    Dear Garbonzo, appreciate if you send me some of those sample codes. I used to build a stand alone inventory systems and some other stuff but, integrating altogether, it's the first time I am trying to do. I have a plan to use the asp.net 2.0 (C#) to build a new PoS system. Thanks in advance.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Mary, I was able to cut the curve & develop any kind of application fast and easy using [Iron Speed Designer ](http://www.IronSpeed.com). I have started from zero (C#) knowledge, from VB/Access VBA to full web application development without much sweating. You might want to give it a try? JimiJ
  • 11 years ago

I would be interested in any chunks of code people have written. I am currently starting a project from scratch, so anything would be appreciated.

• 11 years ago

I would be interested in getting the c# sample code of integrating POS, I appreciate if you send me some of those sample codes. Thanks in advance

• 11 years ago

I would also be interested in getting access to any sample / example C# code relating to POS systems. I am trying to build a small integrated system for a member's golf club and POS is one element that I would like to provide.

• 10 years ago

Hi to all. Im looking for some help for hardware integration with POS and c# sample code. If someone can help and send some samples I would be thankful. My email: [email protected]

• 9 years ago

http://www.planetsourcecode.com/ is where I get all of my code snippets.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Engineers are all basically high-functioning autistics who have no idea how normal people do stuff.” - Cory Doctorow