Network question - "a litle problem"

networking United States
  • 18 years ago

Hi everyone:

I need some help. At work i've installed for testing purposes win 2000 server in a clean PC, plus McAfee e-Policy Orchester.

That is the McAfee version to work for the entire network.

They say that it is compatible with pre-2000, BUT, what we have there is win 95s, 98s, win 2000 server, win 2000 pro, win XP, IRIX, and god knows what else... I havent checked them all. The great majority is Win 2000 Pro. And all of them are connected.

Does pre-2000 (as McAfee says it)  means NTs??? or general windows, like 95/98/ME/XP??? I got a strange feeling this means NTs ONLY. Tell me Im wrong please.

By the way is XP an evolution from 95-> 98 -> ME or from NT technology?

After the McAfee was installed on a PC with win 2k server, I've tried to do the same (for a potential client of McAfee E-Policy whatever), and that client PC was running with Win 95... that was what they gave me for testing purposes... funny huh?

It was done with the network administrator, from the McAfee CD in a win 2000 pro, transfering to the win 95. There was an instante message of error, that I didnt saw, but it was something like (this doesnt belong here).

Do you have any idea how I can sort this "mess" out??? especially for 1 IRIX and  1 XP, (for win 2000 pro its okay - thats the majority there) but also for the museum objects like PCs with win 98 and win 95.

Oh and by the way, I had to install SP1 in win 2k server, and IE 5.1 (at least - I though 6.0 was better), as requested by the McAfee installation process. I wonder how I will do that for other systems... SP1... if 2k server  wasnt enough without SP1 (at least), how am I gonna do this with the museum objects. Is there an equivalent for those that I dont know about?

Thank you very much

LMDG

Note: Edited by lmdg23 on 10/27/2002

• 18 years ago

According to McAfee , the Orchestra Server product must run on NT/2000, but the Orchestra Agent will run on 95/98, NT or above.

Windows 95/98/ME are based on the 95 core kernel, and NT/2000/XP are based on the NT core kernel.

• 18 years ago

Yep Saint Jon:

The E Policy Orchestor is running in 2000 server. Im installing just Virus Scan 4.5.1, in the other PCs... but its is controlled by the server...

Its working now... sort of... a few bugs, but that was a testing in 2 cleaned PCs (they had that idea, I figured out later why...) with the information and experience I got now, I think it will be okay with the others.

The "Agent" you mention, might be the solution to a lot of problems, because I just sent the file through the network to the Win 95 computer... Im gonna check the website, I think that may be explanation to a lot of things.

Thank you Saint Jon, and dont ever leave this website, it would be too expensive to travel to Texas, everytime I got a problem...  

LMDG  

• 18 years ago

LOL! I don't think you guys have to worry about me leaving unless James and webjose decide to run me off.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Never trust a programmer in a suit.” - Anonymous