Storage devices, file transfer and copy operation logic

File Transfer , Csharp , Storage Device India
  • 10 years ago

Hello World,

This is my first post on dF.

I am trying to create a smart file copy utility with queuing and other convenience related enhancement. I also hope to accomplish some performance gain(not on the low level, but through the order in which bulk operations are performed).

I would like to clarify that I have had almost no real world programming experience. Also, I intend to use C#/.net for the project.

In essence, I intend to create something similar in functionality as teracopy(if not with the same performance gains than the standard filecopy utility).

Here are the few things I need expert advice on:

How does the file copy/move speed depend on the storage media(Hard disk, flash drive,etc)? Read/Write speeds on operations from one hard disk to another.(For example, copying a file from hard disk A to B, from A to A). What sort of simultaneous copy/move operations would not significantly affect each other, if performed simultaneously(I am not considering the load on the processor or the device controller)?

I do admit I may not have been absolutely clear about the questions, so please let me help you help me.

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind.” - Alan Kay