“The selected file is not a valid solution file” error when trying to open source safe database

Visual SourceSafe 2005 , Visual Studio 2010 , ASP.Net 4.0 Virginia Beach, United States
  • 10 years ago

I recently re-built my development machine which now uses windows 7. On this new machine, VS 2010 can no longer open sln files directly from SS 2005. These are valid 2010 solutions (orginally created witih VS 2010) that worked fine until I re-built my machine. My co-workers have the same setup and do not have this problem.

The message I get is "The selected file is not a valid solution file".

I've re-built many times and used many installs of VS and never had a problem opening sln's from SS using VS 05, 08 or 10. I've just never seen this before. My co-workers have not had this problem either

I have re-installed SS 2005 as well as the latest SS update but nothing works.

VS 2010 can open solutions from the file system just fine, so it must be a SS thing.

Any ideas?

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'” - Isaac Asimov