Winsock Router/Replacement

networking United States
  • 17 years ago

do you think its possible (or do you know of) to create a winsock dll that when specified an IP address will re-route all winsock messages to another computer for the specified IP address.
    What i want it for is because i have a computer on a LAN and some internet programs don't work. I use a proxy on my internet computer but it doesn't work with everything.
    I want any winsock command to be sent to the internet pc and any command then back to my own.
    Is this possible?

• 17 years ago

Why not just use the hosts file? It is designed to supercede the normal name resolution process for hostnames so you can hard code hostnames/IP's. Failing that, you could use ARP.EXE to modify your IP to physical address translation tables (if the IP is on your network) or ROUTE.EXE to modify your routing tables.

Rewriting the Winsock protocol stack would not be something most people could undertake.

• 17 years ago

Im a bit confused now.
    Where is the hosts file?
    Do you know of any website with guides to using ARP or Route? I've searched but can't get anything.
    Thanks!

Also, using ARP or ROUTE or the Host file will re-route any outgoing connection (even if i haven't specified it) to my proxy server (but on which port)?

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone” - Bjarne Stroustrup