Windows Firewall

• 17 years ago

I originally used ZoneAlarm until I discovered that it conflicted with IIS web server, and also now i'm using ICS, apparently it doesn't allow that either

so for that reason i've gone back to using the firewall that you get with windows xp, however there are two things it stops me doing which i'd like to do, and if anyone knows how to alter those settings that'd be wicked.

1) I can't send files over Windows Messenger unless i first turn it off (which is annoying)
    2) i can't use VNC (virtual network computing) to remotely access my computer [presumably cos of the firewall... i havent tried leaving my firewall off all day whilst i go out just in case] [over cautious but hey]

or, can anyone else recommend a good and most importantly FREE firewall package i could use? (cos of course i - cough - never use K@ZaA)

cheers guys

• 17 years ago

You should be able to configure both the XP firewall or ZoneAlarm to allow IIS to function - and i've used both on a network using ICS. for the XP Firewall, if you go to advanced, you can select which services you want to allow through, as well as allowing specific ports.

• 17 years ago

cool, cheers for that, i'm not sure why i didnt find those settings for msn before

(however when i exit the dialog boxes having clicked ok, when i return to them the two MSN checkboxes have always unchecked themselves )

when i get a chance i'll try zonealarm with iis again

thanks again

• 17 years ago

Hi again

with ZoneAlarm running, when I click on the "Play >" button in IIS to start the service, i get the following error message

Unexpected error 0x8ffe2740 occurred.

and then in the left hand panel, there's a STOP sign next to "Default Web Site" and i can't use the service again until i've rebooted.

I know from past experimentation that this is as a result of having ZoneAlarm installed.

but if you've managed to use them in harmony, how did you do that?

thanks.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Owning a computer without programming is like having a kitchen and using only the microwave oven” - Charles Petzold