Advice and Help!

css , web services United States
  • 16 years ago

Hi Folks, I'm totally new to "Developers Fusion" and really like what I see so far..............
    My question is: I can do basic programming in HTML, but I really want to get deeper into programming. There are a plethera of programs and languages, can someone point me in the right place to start??
    Thanks for any help I can get!!

• 16 years ago

Well... if you want more power in html, you should try some tutorials about javascript for begging, and then try going on asp. There should be over a million of tutorials around the net, starting from here you should fond some powerful once. For more info, please post back!!!

NOTE: I am glad you are using GREEK words like plethera!!!

• 16 years ago

Quote:
    NOTE: I am glad you are using GREEK words like plethera!!!
    lol

wwwwooooaaaah dont use ASP use PHP

• 16 years ago
    Why do you prefere php form asp? I fill asp is more "free" and much easier. But i have never worked on php, so i cannot be sure!!!

• 16 years ago

well, i like asp.net (vb.net) mainly because i already knew a bit of Visual Basic and i had already seen lots of websites in it (including this one )... i would reccomend it 100%

i would suggest, if you want to go into application programming... that you use Visual Studio.NET and learn C# or VB.NET... as they have relatively easy syntaxes and arent too hard to grasp the basics of...

• 16 years ago

i've used both php and asp, and whenever i have a choice, i use asp,  preferably asp.net. ( i also like the smooth intergration and interopbility of asp.net and web services, web services can save you alot of time when you need to execute a command more then once on different pages. and changing the command on the web service will update all, since they're all using that same command etc.) so i recomend going to that. also i recommend starting to learn about xml. xml is actually quite nice, for example using xpath and xquiry you can make a whole website that's looks like it's database oriented with just a xml file as backend. you can create dynamic pages using xsl, or creating things like pdfs using xslt. you should learn more obout the doctype dtd or, xsd.after that, if you want to get into vector you can use SVG which is based on xml.

• 16 years ago

Although I realise the advantages of ASP.net, PHP is and does have the potential to be much more powerful. If you are looking for something that you will be able to learn quite easily but is very powerful, asp.net is definately the language for you. If you have the time to learn php which is quite a difficult language it might be worth it due to its extra flexibility. Php is also currently more widely supported on web servers. Asp.net hosting is often very expensive.

As you are just starting, I found that a good way of getting to learn essential web languages such as javascript was to get javascript examples off the internet and tamper with them until i got them to do what i wanted. I found this was more useful than a book (although i did use the www.w3schools.com tutorial) as I could entirely explore the aspects of javascript that I wanted to first before building up my ability at the language.

Html is a very easy language and I would certainly suggest that you learn something like javascript which is less simple before attempting to dive into the potential complexity of Asp.net or particularly PHP.

I would also, finally, like to recommend that you look at the http://www.w3schools.com website as this outlines the purposes and uses of each language at the start of each tutorial and I find that their tutorials are always a good start for any language.

Decide whether the language suites what you want to be able to do with your websites before you start learning it. Javascript will always come in handy but will asp or php in the kind of websites you want to build? learning something like flash might be more useful if you want to create a graphically enhanced site, for example.

L8r

• 16 years ago

PHP and MySQL Web Development by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson is an extremely good book, it takes you right from the beginning of PHP and leads you through building top class professional applications.

also the php web site www.php.net is an invaluable resource

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Perl - The only language that looks the same before and after RSA encryption.” - Keith Bostic