OCX Control: TextBox w/ Line Numbers?

vb6 Canada
  • 16 years ago

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any OCX controls that are RichTextBox-like controls but with line numbers on them (as featured in great programs like HomeSite or that new Developers Pad)? Or is there anyway I can do it myselft?

Thanks for all your help.

• 16 years ago

Well... you can take a look at the source code for Developers Pad ;-) The line numbering in Developers Pad came from http://www.vbaccelerator.com

• 16 years ago

Thank you very much for the link. I downloaded both ssubtmr6.dll files and the textboxex files. I'm just extremely confused as how I use the files (both the DLLs and the TextBoxEx) because I've never worked with DLLs before and I couldn't find any OCX files in the TextBoxEx package. Can someone please help me?

Thanks for all your help so far.

• 16 years ago

You probably downloaded the source code-only version. In which case, open your VB project then go to File | Add Project and add the TextBoxEx project... you can then use the control in your project, and compile the OCX file.

• 16 years ago

OK, I tried what you said and to add the project to my project and compile it as an OCX control. First I tried to compile but it told me that it had to be 'Public' (or something) so I went it made the user control public but after that my Visual Basic always freezes ('Not Responding' in the Close Program window) so I have to 'End Task' the program. Any suggestions?

• 16 years ago

Try simply pressing F5 after you have added the project.... will it run then? (without going to File|Make xxx.ocx)

• 16 years ago

Thank you again for replying.

Well, I did try pressing F5 but it still freezes. I don't know what the problem is. I can't believe I'm going through so much trouble for a simple OCX control. Does anyone have a copy they can send me?

• 16 years ago

I don't get it either... sorry I can't help any more... :-(

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why.”