Horizontal ScrollBars in ListBoxes

vb6 Canada
  • 19 years ago

Hello my name is Bud and I am new to this forum.
    Recently I figured out how to add a horizontal scrollbar to a listbox control when the user enters text, whose TextWidth is greater than the width of the ListBox.  However, I have been having trouble getting the scrollbar to disappear when that item is removed from the list.  The rest of the items in the list are completely visible within the listbox and don't require the horizontal scrollbar to see the entries in their entirety.  I would greatly appreciate any feedback you could give in regard to this.  

Thanks,

Bud

• 19 years ago

Could you please post the code you are using to display the scroll bar?

• 19 years ago

Hi James,  thanks for your timely reply.  Here's the code:

In the Click Event of the "Add" button on the form:

Dim intIndexLongestText As Integer

Dim sngnVar As Single

Me.ScaleMode = vbPixels

lstScroll.AddItem txtText.Text

For mintCount = 1 To lstScroll.ListCount

sngnVar = Me.TextWidth(lstScroll.List(mintCount - 1))

If (sngnVar + 6) > lstScroll.Width Then

intIndexLongestText = (mintCount - 1)

SetHScroll Me, lstScroll, lstScroll.List(intIndexLongestText)

Exit For

End If

Next mintCount

txtText.Text = ""

Code in a Standard Code Module:

Option Explicit

Public Const LB_SETHORIZONTALEXTENT = &H194

Declare Function SendMessage Lib "user32" Alias "SendMessageA" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal wMsg As Long, ByVal wParam As Long, lParam As Long) As Long

Public Sub SetHScroll(Frm As Form, Ctrl As Control, strText As String)

Dim nScaleMode As Integer
     Dim nTextWidth As Integer

nScaleMode = Frm.ScaleMode

Frm.ScaleMode = 3  'vbPixels

nTextWidth = (Frm.TextWidth(strText) + 6)

SendMessage Ctrl.hWnd, LB_SETHORIZONTALEXTENT, nTextWidth, 0

Frm.ScaleMode = nScaleMode

End Sub

Since I wrote this code, I discovered a bug in it, in that if you add another item to the list box whose textwidth is greater than the width of the listbox (both in terms of pixels), but shorter than that of the item which initially caused the scrollbar to appear, the scrollbar resizes itself to fit the shorter "long item".  Thus, the original "long item" gets cut off.  I have since come to realize that this code works by knowing the list index of the longest item in the list at all times, so that the scrollbar can size itself accordingly if and when it is needed.  I believe this can be achieved using nested For......Next Loops, which I'm currently working on.  However, once that problem is solved, I am still at a loss to find a way to make the scrollbar disappear, when you remove all the items from the list which are longer than the width of the listbox.  Hope you can offer some insight into how to accomplish this.  

Thanks,

Bud

• 19 years ago

I found this in the MSDN library:

An application sends an LB_SETHORIZONTALEXTENT message to set the width, in pixels, by which a list box can be scrolled horizontally (the scrollable width). If the width of the list box is smaller than this value, the horizontal scroll bar horizontally scrolls items in the list box. If the width of the list box is equal to or greater than this value, the horizontal scroll bar is hidden

I think the bit in italics is what you want...

• 19 years ago

Thanks, James.  I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it.” - Donald Knuth