Page Filename Case

.net , asp.net Brisbane, Australia
  • 16 years ago

Hello

I have seen many websites that use upper and lower case in page filenames. (eg. Default.aspx, Login.aspx and even using multiple case folders like /Members/ChangePassword.aspx). I know that this doesn't make any difference on Windows because filenames are case insensitive. But I have heard that Google or other search engines will index them seperately. Is this true?

I am after peoples opinion as to what method to use, either all lowercase or a mix (which usually looks pretty).

• 16 years ago

I really don't think it matters - so long as you're consistent. I think most search engines these days would be intelligent enough to realise that /default.aspx and /Default.aspx serve the same page, and therefore only list it once.

• 16 years ago

What happens if you are using ASP.NET on the Mono project and Linux having case sensitive filename?

I have noticed that you use all lowercase.

• 16 years ago

I'm not sure - but hence my comment about being consistent. On linux, I suppose in you could have default.aspx and Default.aspx pointing to different files - so just decide on using lowercase or title case or whatever, and stick to it...

• 16 years ago

I guess so.

This forum has really died compared to what it was a year ago. And i really think it is because of .NET, not too many people come here to get help on .NET and the General VB board has been decreasing which is expected.

Anyway thanks for your help.

• 16 years ago

Yeah, that's true. It's basicaly why I'm trying to get far more .NET content up ... and some UK related content too, as we're basically the only UK developer site

As always - any ideas are more than welcome. Once my degree's finished in June, I'm going to be spending far more time on this, ramping up features and finally getting that CMS system up and running....

• 16 years ago

That's good, because there are some features that haven't been implemented since the beginning of the site like the search feature which went to the Google site search and now back to nothing.

I remember the days when you could upload stuff through your profile so it will be good once you get those features back up.

I like the blogs, it adds something to read when you come to the site.

If I think of any good ideas i will shoot them over to you.

• 16 years ago

We're still accepting submissions - we just had to halt accepting them via the website, as we had lots of people registering and just submitting total nonsense with large attachments, and the whole thing became unmanageable.

• 16 years ago

Yer I noticed that in your signature before.

Well, i don't have any thing else to say so I will let you get back to whatever you are working on or playing around with.

Talk to you soon.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint Exupéry