problem with date type. please help

vb6 Benin
  • 14 years ago

I'm working on a VB project with Access database. I encounter a problem when

trying this query:

rs.open "Select * from [COMMAND]  where datcde=" & txtdatcde, adopendynamic

txtdatcde is a textbox control and it contain a date

datcde is the table COMMAND 's attribute on date type with the following mask "00/00/0000".

the query return no row.

Unfortunatly, if i change the property datcde's type to Text all things go right. But further operation

request this attribute to be of date type.

I welcome any idea. Help please

• 14 years ago
    Hi Kikidevfus

Actually this problem may occur when ur regional date settings date format.

If ur regional settings format is like "mm/dd/yyyy" or  "m/d/yyyy" then ur input given by vb also treat like "mm/dd/yyyy". In this time if u give "31/10/2000" and then convert into date cdate("31/10/2006") ur system will give error.

If u overcome this problem u always pass ur input in the "dd/MMM/yyyy" format only.

I hope this will solve ur problem.

Regards
    Hari K

• 14 years ago

I'm sorry if this doesn't apply when using a command but try enclosing the date with hashes:

rs.open "Select * from [COMMAND]  where datcde = #" & txtdatcde & "#" & , adopendynamic

• 14 years ago

Thank to hari and sync_or_swim!

My date settings is on "dd/mm/yyyy" format. and whenever i change this to "mm/dd/yyyy". there is no change.

Concerning sync_or_swim's solution that 's the first tips i tried. but no thing to do. So i'm still looking for others solutions to solve this problem. hoping to hear from you.

Regards.

• 14 years ago

You can do one thing, remove the mask and then try...

• 14 years ago

Hi kikidevfus

are you sure you changed the data value of your textbox into date?

thanx

• 14 years ago

Thanks to every  body. The problem is simple. I've just change the date format mask in my database; i move it from "00/00/0000;;" to "00/00/0000" and then i've no problem.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“C++ : Where friends have access to your private members.” - Gavin Russell Baker