C++ 10 Commandments

cpp Australia
  • 19 years ago

I recently found the "Ten Commandments for C++ Programmers" and was rather ammused.  However, commandment number 4 reads:

Thou shalt not augment the interface of a class at the "concrete" level without most prudent deliberation. Such ill-begotten practices imprison thy clients unjustly into your classes, and foment unspeakable unrest when code maintenance and extension are required.

This confuses me a little.  

What exactly does it mean to "augment the interface of a class at the concrete level"?

Why is this a bad thing to do?

Can anyone help me here?

Thanks.

• 19 years ago

I think what this means is that unless you have a good argument don’t ignore a class. It ten explains that this is not a good practice because it limits your clients to using only your code and creates “unspeakable unrest” when you try to maintain and extend code.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Never trust a programmer in a suit.” - Anonymous